Colorado Sparklers All American Game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
OK. DD1 and DW are in Colorado this week. I am home with DD2 recovering from a week at Scenic City. This is our first Colorado Sparkler. We were supposed to do this last year, but Covid, and we ended up at a Sparkler regional tournament.

Anyway, she signed up and played in one of the All Star games, and then also played in the Academic All Star game later that day. She performed well, and had a good time playing. She received an invitation to play in the All American game, but I think she's a bit burned out with the All Star game format, and is considering skipping this one. The game is today, and her team is also playing Pool games today as well.

What's the deal with this game? Should we encourage her to play? Anyone done this All American game at sparklers? She is a pitcher, should we save her reps for the team games? She is 16u, if that matters.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nice to have choices!!!

As to pitching
Whats your teams pitching staff look like could help answer for you.

Schedules have seen
*With a regular schedule already having 9 games thru friday.

Posibly look at the bigger picture and choose wisely.

The field that games are played on (imo) is more important.

Main idt field is Stazio
(if remember correctly)

Nov 18, 2013
She’ll only pitch a couple of innings so burn out shouldn’t be an issue. The first all star game coaches select a couple players to go. It’s fun, but not a big deal. The academic game she was in and the all American game will likely be her best chances to play in front of coaches this season. Those are a big deal. Best of luck to her’

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I would say go ahead and play!

DD's experience with the 2016 All Star Game was terrible. Game was supposed to start at 6pm. We get to the fields at 4pm to check in, and all the fields were cleared because of storms in the area. We wait, wait, wait and wait some more. Games are starting back up and then at 10pm her team starts to warm up in the Outfield area.

Wouldn't you know it DD is warming up with kid from our area. Go figure. DD was bending down to pick up her mask and Boink! The girl threw the ball and hit her right in the eye! I didn't see it happen, but DD was sitting down against the CF fence with her hand over her eye. No one comes to find the parent of the kid that is hurt. I had to walk all the around the fencing and ask her what happened. I was not happy. My DD is injured with a swollen eye and no one is helping her. Now it's 11pm...they decide to cancel the her games. I got a 75% refund. Not cool. Luckily, she had a down day the following day. Eye was closed shut, but improved by the time she was able to play the rest of the week.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
I have not been their in person, but have been told by many that the Academic Game is the game to get into. Because these are the kids with the grades, the coaches come out to see who can play, specifically Ivy league and jr Ivy.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I think it's already been summed up pretty well by MNDad. The All Star Games were kind of a crap shoot as to who you'll play with or who'll be coaching. Both DD's played in them for a couple years and IMHO it's not what you hope for. Some of the Individual events like the Fastest 50 or the HR derby are fun also and while they can conflict with pool games usually you can work around it. The All-Academic Games were much better all the way around, they girls had more fun, better players/coaching in the game and many more coaches there recruiting from the schools that my girls were interested in. I'm not sure about the All American Games. This year they have the showcase games and the TC International Challenge games as well. I would hope the All American Games would be much better and more closely watched than the All Star stuff! Do it if you can (those games are scheduled for today so you've likely already decided)...if participating, let us know your thoughts!

May 16, 2016
So, she decided to play in the All American game. If we could do it again, we'd skip the first All Star, and just do the Academic game. I think, as a pitcher, having a catcher you met 5 minutes earlier, call your pitches, is a bit frustrating.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So, she decided to play. If we could do it again, we'd skip the first All Star, and just do the Academic game. I think, as a pitcher, having a catcher you met 5 minutes earlier, call your pitches is a bit frustrating.
Live & Learn,
Good to post feedback.
Enjoy!

New Teammates~
Can be difficult!
Also can be a rewarding experience!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think it's already been summed up pretty well by MNDad. The All Star Games were kind of a crap shoot as to who you'll play with or who'll be coaching. Both DD's played in them for a couple years and IMHO it's not what you hope for. Some of the Individual events like the Fastest 50 or the HR derby are fun also and while they can conflict with pool games usually you can work around it. The All-Academic Games were much better all the way around, they girls had more fun, better players/coaching in the game and many more coaches there recruiting from the schools that my girls were interested in. I'm not sure about the All American Games. This year they have the showcase games and the TC International Challenge games as well. I would hope the All American Games would be much better and more closely watched than the All Star stuff! Do it if you can (those games are scheduled for today so you've likely already decided)...if participating, let us know your thoughts!
Agree in that the All-Academic game is a specific group narrowed down to watch.

All-star game tends to be names out of a hat, mix match of assortment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles