College Student Athletes get Paid???!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
Are you saying that all major and mid D1 schools are required by the NCAA to provide meal cards? Or is that your assumption?
All D1 athletes are now given meal cards that include snacks. My daughter at her exit and compliance meeting was informed that starting fall this year all players would receive meal cards whether they lived on or off campus.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
All D1 athletes are now given meal cards that include snacks. My daughter at her exit and compliance meeting was informed that starting fall this year all players would receive meal cards whether they lived on or off campus.

You may wish to re-read the NCAA press release.

"Division I student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation, the Legislative Council decided Tuesday. The rule, which applies to walk-ons as well as scholarship student-athletes, is an effort to meet the nutritional needs of all student-athletes.."

Based on the language this is something that D1 school may offer athletes if they so choose. However, it is not a requirement.

To the credit of your DD's school, I feel they are doing the right thing. Other schools will need to follow suit if they want to stay competitive with respect to recruiting.

Oct 14, 2008
All I can tell you is what is relayed to me from her and her coach, as of fall all D1 athletes will be given this. I guess time will tell if it will be mandatory across the board or not. After all the press It received im betting it will

Nov 3, 2012
I would think a lot of the bigger super conference schools have always offered a full open training table or other words "unlimited food". Just like Riseball indicated, its about being competitive. These schools arent going to lose a recruit over the fact the kid might go hungry. A better description would be a lot of the student athletes are assigned a dietician and fed a very specific sports nutritional focused diet to enhance their performance.

Now at smaller schools, thats a different story. There's not surplus cash going around and they cant afford to give unlimited food or provide dieticians. This concept applies to a lot of the benefits. The Big D1 schools wanted to give a $2K stipend to all the recruits. Another perk to get the recruit to the school. The small D1 schools blocked the vote on this because they couldnt afford it, and again it would provide another advantage in recruiting if the big schools paid out stipends and the small ones didnt.

If you want to see the state of some of the lower D1 schools, look at Grambling. Their football team boycotted a game due to the conditions of their fields and locker rooms among other things. A schoold that produced a lot of good pros and the school's football program is about to make it go bankrupt.

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
Not all receive meal cards, you only get a meal card if you live on campus and you are limited to spend a certain amount each week. If you move off campus they give your room and board to you in a stipend check which that money is where you pay for food and rent and that is if you have enough scholarship money to even get enough on a stipend check, if you are not on a full scholarship you will not get the full amount of room and board on a stipend check

Jul 22, 2014
This thread is interesting to read as it clearly shows how each school is totally different. My player has gone to bed hungry many a night. They are not given any kind of stipend for food - including away/weekend games. They are only allowed $9 per meal to spend when they eat out. Eating out in most instances was only dinner as they relied on the lovely "free" hotel breakfasts of cereal/biscuits n'gravy - lol. They are not allowed to have white bread, pop, french fries/any fried foods. They aren't allowed to put in their own money if they want more because that wouldn't be fair if others can't. In many instances hamburger places like Red Robin and such have most of their meals over $10. Many a time double headers run late, practices run late, mandatory study halls run late and the food courts are closed and they simply don't eat or have to find someone to take them and pay for it. Many people forget that most schools run cafeteria hours and athlete schedules don't necessarily run parallel to those. Most keep granola bars/instant mac and cheese and such in their rooms. Also, if they live off campus they do not get meal cards - even on full scholarship - you forfeit when you move out of dorms. This is a DI school.

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
This thread is interesting to read as it clearly shows how each school is totally different. My player has gone to bed hungry many a night. They are not given any kind of stipend for food - including away/weekend games. They are only allowed $9 per meal to spend when they eat out. Eating out in most instances was only dinner as they relied on the lovely "free" hotel breakfasts of cereal/biscuits n'gravy - lol. They are not allowed to have white bread, pop, french fries/any fried foods. They aren't allowed to put in their own money if they want more because that wouldn't be fair if others can't. In many instances hamburger places like Red Robin and such have most of their meals over $10. Many a time double headers run late, practices run late, mandatory study halls run late and the food courts are closed and they simply don't eat or have to find someone to take them and pay for it. Many people forget that most schools run cafeteria hours and athlete schedules don't necessarily run parallel to those. Most keep granola bars/instant mac and cheese and such in their rooms. Also, if they live off campus they do not get meal cards - even on full scholarship - you forfeit when you move out of dorms. This is a DI school.

Wow.. Yea it was a touchy subject while on the team we didn't get Per-diem if we ate out as a team but we got it when we went to airports we got at least 10-15$ I think the max is 25$ but if we are out as a team we didn't get that..we had diet restrictions as well kinda how you described but every school is very different

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish