Coaches don't know the rules, argue most of the time!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
You ever notice that coaches that argue a call the most, don't know the rule in the first place. I have seen too often coaches say they know the rules, but it is "their" rules. Rules based on old stories, poor childhood memories and wives-tales. Examples? Hands are part of the bat. A infielder can't stand in the base line when fielding the ball and the ever popular pitch hit the ground before it hit her so the batter doesn't get 1st.

Can you add anymore?

May 10, 2010
I hate when a rec coach puts his team in a tournament and 1. gets upset when he pulls his pitcher after 3 innings and I do not. 2 We score 5 runs and keep hitting. 3. After the rec team is knocked out looks for the TD to get a participation medal. These things actually happened. I respect any one wanting to get kids better and its hard enough to keep up with the different alphabet rules. I just thought every one new the differences in rules from rec to tourny ball.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
We had one this past weekend. We were on defense and a pop up was hit just foul of the 1st base line. Our fielder comes in to field it and the batter-runner collides with her. Interference was called. The offensive coaches argued emphatically that their batter-runner was in the running lane and the fielder must yield to her, therefore it was obstruction.

I did watch a coach (former college player) argue that the hands were part of the bat a month ago. She didn't win.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Last weekend we have runners on 2 and 3 with one out. The batter pop flies out to deep CF. My runner on 3 tags up and scores. During the same live ball my runner that was on 2 takes 3 and rounds the bag a few steps. Their ss throws behind her and she eventually get out in a run down between 3 & 4. My original girl that was on 3 that tagged up and scored, that run was taken away from us. Their coaches/book keeper says it didn't stand because the final out took place within the same play/live ball. Neither umpire could answer definitely if this was an accurate call or not....Morons. We lost that game 7-8.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Last weekend we have runners on 2 and 3 with one out. The batter pop flies out to deep CF. My runner on 3 tags up and scores. During the same live ball my runner that was on 2 takes 3 and rounds the bag a few steps. Their ss throws behind her and she eventually get out in a run down between 3 & 4. My original girl that was on 3 that tagged up and scored, that run was taken away from us. Their coaches/book keeper says it didn't stand because the final out took place within the same play/live ball. Neither umpire could answer definitely if this was an accurate call or not....Morons. We lost that game 7-8.

so what you are saying is that sometimes its not the coaches who don't know the rule but the umps.

Apr 13, 2013
8U was the LBR – get the ball in the circle and all the runners need to go back to the base that last left

10U was # Hit Batters – Too many variations to explain but there is no rule

12U must slide – There is no must slide rule, stop arguing about it

Feb 22, 2013
This one happened this last weekend.

Pop fly hit to shallow right field. Right fielder and 2nd baseman converge on ball on the right field baseline. Right fielder calls ball and ball hits right fielders glove and bounces out and hits ground in foul territory. Right fielder had both feet in fair territory while touching ball. HC goes out to argue the call and uses the logic that both of the girls feet were in fair territory when the ball was touched, therefore it was a fair ball. Blue explains that from his angle, the ball was in foul territory when player made contact with ball. HC tells blue that he blew the call.

After the game, opposing coach comes out and said that the dropped fly ball in right field was a fair ball because the girl who dropped it had both feet in fair territory when contact was made with the ball. I asked the opposing coach if the ball was in foul territory or fair territory when contact was made with the ball. He told me it didn't matter because the girls feet were in fair territory when contact was made.

Similar situation during a Tennessee ballgame on ESPN. One hopper sent screaming down the first base line. 1st baseman standing in fair territory sticks her glove out in foul territory and the ball skims off of glove and rolls to the fence. PU yells foul ball because ball was definitely in foul territory when ball was touched, but that doesn't stop the Tennessee 1st base coach from pointing his finger at the opposing 1st baseman and yelling obscenities directed towards blue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug