Coach/Umpire relationship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
As long as an umpire is consistent with his strike zone, players need to adjust.

I've seen this repeated a lot in different threads. Frankly, I hate it, especially as an excuse for a bad strike zone. How about we strive for accuracy? It's like saying, well girls, he calls outs at first base unless you beat the throw by two steps, but at least he's consistent, so be a little faster.

Jan 22, 2011
I've seen this repeated a lot in different threads. Frankly, I hate it, especially as an excuse for a bad strike zone. How about we strive for accuracy? It's like saying, well girls, he calls outs at first base unless you beat the throw by two steps, but at least he's consistent, so be a little faster.

Around me, ASA/USA umpires are known for calling knee high pitches in the river a strike. I'm not going to get too upset about a hittable pitch slightly outside being called a strike. I teach my players a good pitch to hit isn't necessarily a strike, if they think they can drive it hard.

I've also noticed when I umpire that fans and coaches from their seats at times seem to be highly confident that pitches that miss by more than a ball and a half are strikes and pitches that at least half the ball is in the strike zone is a ball.

Jul 22, 2015
I umpire a handful of rec games a year. I'm going to try to do high school games after my DD graduates HS, but I know I need to get a lot of rec games under my belt before I'm ready for HS.
Having now done some of both, don't be so sure. In my opinion the HS games have been much easier to call. You at least have some idea of what should happen during a HS game, but you never know what those rec ball kids are going to do next.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles