Coach pouting during a game.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I've seen a few man-child coaches over the last few years, but today I saw a coach just shut down and stop mid-game. He crossed his arms and wouldn't give signs to batters, then on defense, he just crossed his arms and sat on the bench leaning back. Being a parent the expression that comes to mind is "pouting".

In my mind this coach quit on his team.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
A few years ago, a friend's son was on a 12U All-Star team that was floundering a little in the state tournament. Coach told them that if they weren't going to execute, they could coach themselves. Next year, the same coach's team was not playing particularly well and we were playing them in an elimination game. He came to us beforehand and said that this was his last game, he was all done, and if he was winning in the last inning he would forfeit.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yikes. They have bigger problems than we can solve on here. Can you imagine being married to these males? (I won't say man.)

I saw the worst yesterday that I have seen in many years, as far as fit throwing.

Jun 24, 2013
I would rather not have to fit thrower or the pouter but given a choice I will take the pouter. IDK, sometimes it takes and effort to stay involved when you are losing by 15 runs and everyone feels sorry for your Team. 1st baseman catches the ball and steps on first for an out and both sides clap like you just won the World Series.

I know what you are saying in the OP and agree with you.

Jan 24, 2011
There was a team here locally yesterday that got mad because the umpire warned them about their players yelling "miss it" from the dugout on a popup. Head coach of this one is a female.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Youth sports are designed to teach our kids the preparation for success, values of teamwork, work ethic, attitude, effort, and dependability. The coach is the head of all of these core values. The kids will feed off of the coaches emotions, good or bad. This guy is teaching those kids to be quitters when the goin gets tough!

Jul 13, 2013
NE Indiana
^^^^^This

This guy is teaching those kids to be quitters when the goin gets tough!

I would almost bet that somewhere along the way this coach/these coaches had a coach or mentor just like them. My dd has an assistant coach that likes to feel like he's the coach that knows everything, center of attention kind of thing(if I was HC, we would have had issues a long time ago). The season began and there was always this older gentlemen sitting in the stands yelling instructions to all the girls from the wrong side of the fence, everybody knew he was there if you know what I mean. I blew it off as my dd doesn't pay attention to this type of thing. Turns out it's the above mentioned AC's dad.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Yikes. They have bigger problems than we can solve on here. Can you imagine being married to these males? (I won't say man.)

I saw the worst yesterday that I have seen in many years, as far as fit throwing.

I reminded my wife and child how fortunate they are to have an emotionally mature male around. They seemed unconvinced.

Jun 7, 2013
I think that some coaches forget that they are there for their players and not the other way around. The pouters are certainly unimpressive but I hate the yellers, the insulters, the punishers even more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1