Coach or mom... both???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My dd is 7 and this year is the year things went from drawing masterpieces in the dirt to I can't get put on the field fast enough to practice and play. (Hooray!!) I'm coaching my older dd in 10U(same league) 1 last year, she's decided she's ready to step up. She has been taking pitching lessons and wanted to get the tournament experience in allstars this year. So it really is an important year for her developmentally. My problem is my 7 yr old dd that has finally decided she wants to play has found herself in a horrible position with her team. 5 girls are the most that's ever shown up for practice and of those 5 other than her 1 of them can "kinda" catch in her words. I believe she will be better than older dd long term but how if when she finally wants to play she cant??? I have the option to move her up to my 10U team. But in our league that's a change from coach pitch to girls pitch. She has been taking hitting lessons and I really think she can do it. If she did move up she wouldn't be the "superstar" but not the worst player by any means. My 10U team is great this year (attitude wise) and would absolutely accept her. On the way home from practice my 7 yr old says " mom I've worked hard right?" She has I say yes she asks " I don't know why... I can't even play..." broke my heart. Move her up or not??? What would you do?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with JJ completely. Provided the size and age difference is not so extreme that you are risking injury, I would move her up.

May 24, 2013
California
Just a dad but IMHO. I agree with JJ, move her up. I'm assuming this is rec ball? She's not going to learn anything if no one else on her team can even remotely of keep up. If she can catch and throw the ball decently, that will already be ahead of the brand new 9 & 10s on a typical 10U rec team. She's taking hitting lesions already. Just keep in mind the attention span of the younger girl. DD2 is in 10U and have a few 8s on her team, skill wise the younger girl is on par to play 10U just the attention span was shorter. You can have her play down for TB if you need to later on.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Was in the EXACT same position 11 years ago with my youngest, who had just stopped building sand castles at 2nd base between innings. Moved her up and within 6 months she was starting. You will be amazed how well she does. MOVE HER UP!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thats what my gut says. She is bigger than 4 of the girls on my team. Safety is not a concern for me... I think I'm worried about big sisters shadow.

Being in big sisters shadow comes with territory so don't sweat it. What are you going to do when her game is as good or better than big sis? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan