Coach in fair territory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Can a base coach enter fair territory after a ball is hit in play in order to coach his runners....Basically I watched a game the other day and every time there was a decent hit (more than a single) the first base would jump in fair territory beyond first base waving his arms to advance to second.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I believe when you get right down to it they are not supposed to leave the coaches box unless forced out due to a play. However, umpires typically provide them with significant latitude. Have never seen a coach go into fair territory. Most umps I know would take exception to that behavior.

Mar 15, 2014
I have had coaches enter the playing field to argue a call while the runners are still attempting to reach bases.
After all is quiet I call obstruction and award the bases--if any-- that I felt would have been earned had the coach stayed put.
And then I batten down the hatches for the storm that I know is heading my way.
But no--a coach is not permitted to enter the playing field unless time is called.
While not tied to the coaches box--for example a good coach will come down the 3rd base line to hold up or green light his runner--he must not interfere with a play in any way whatsoever.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2014
DFW TEXAS
I have seen where a coach entered the field as you stated, the umpire immediately stopped the play. He sent the girls back to the last base touched. The coach protested at which the ump stated he could just send him to the cars or he could take this as a learning experience, much like he should be teaching his girls.

I for one don't know if it would be a dead ball at the time of the coach entering the field of play, but that seemed to be what he was stating..

Mar 15, 2014
I have seen where a coach entered the field as you stated, the umpire immediately stopped the play. He sent the girls back to the last base touched. The coach protested at which the ump stated he could just send him to the cars or he could take this as a learning experience, much like he should be teaching his girls.

I for one don't know if it would be a dead ball at the time of the coach entering the field of play, but that seemed to be what he was stating..

Well, if the offensive coach entered the field during a live ball situation then I would have done the exact same thing.
I was referring to a defensive coach who enters the field before requesting and being granted a time out.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I have to say no. I am the first base coach, I pretty much stay locked into my little box except to clear out the way of a possible foul territory play. No need to go up and down the line, just talk louder they will hear you.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have to say no. I am the first base coach, I pretty much stay locked into my little box except to clear out the way of a possible foul territory play. No need to go up and down the line, just talk louder they will hear you.

Agreed that coaching first should be pretty much limited to the box; however, coaching third you may need to be far down the line toward home to be able to turn and then hold/send a runner at the last minute. I can't envision a realistic scenario where a base coach should ever end up in fair territory though!

Mar 26, 2014
I agree that no base coach, first or third, should ever be in fair territory without time being called. I am pretty sure that both base coaches are allowed to move down the line to help get a better view of the play and to coach their runners. I don't even like doing that to be honest. I am always afraid I am going to interfere with a play. I yell loud enough for everyone at our, and maybe the next, field to hear what I want my runner advancing to third to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse