Change Teams or Suffer on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Howdy All

First time posting here but have a situation and would like to hear how others have handled similar issues. This is my daughter's first year playing organized softball. She has done well, shown a mountain of dedication, and hard work has paid off with an All Star selection. She has some talent and we are fanning the flames to keep her motivated.

Concerns have to do with the team she plays for. I appreciate the coaches for volunteering but I am completely perplexed by their motivations. Sadly the team shows unbelievable favoritism towards coaches DD. One coaches daughter will not move 5' to field a grounder, yet she is regularly put in at second base and hardly ever gets sat. The girls are frustrated with the coaches and it shows during games.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to our coaches decisions. A few items to illustrate the concerns. Our batting order has changed only once this whole season. Our top three batters strike out or walk continuously and do not aggressively try to hit. Although other players have improved vastly in hitting performance they never move up in the order.

Fielding is completely beyond comprehension. With runners on 1 & 2 and 0-1 outs, our coach calls out closest base. He has never once taught the girls the importance of getting the lead runner. Last night with bases loaded and 1 out, our pitcher fielded a grounder and threw to first. Play was to the plate but no one coached her to defend the plate. Of course the other team marched on for 5 runs and maxed out the inning. My DD played left field and successfully backed up 3 over thrown balls to third on steal attempts. Each time she made the back up and threw home. Twice the pitcher ran in and cut off the throw, as the pitcher has been taught all year that the play is always to get the ball back in the circle. Needless to say our team has never practiced cut off drills to the plate.

Hope this isn't too convoluted to keep up with. I am incredibly frustrated with this coaching staff and team performance. So the question is, do we jump ship? I am trying to leave the decision up to my DD, but I am very concerned. She is very smart on the diamond. Calls out the right play, and then gets undermined by her Head Coach. While playing SS she has attempted to guide the team to get the lead runner, only to have the incorrect call sent in from the Head Coach (nearest base is always his intention). I have heard our infielders call out three different calls on the same play, contradict each other, and no coach input to correct this lack of cohesion. I am worried that all of this may impact her development. I had hoped that she would at least have learned the basics by now. If I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to work with her alone, the poor kid would be completely lost.

Suffice to say this is only the tip of the ice berg. To avoided my first post being a 5 page rant, I will elect to offer any further situations and lapses in coaching decisions as the discussion arises. I will add that I am signed up to coach in the next available opening. Trying to be part of the solution.

What would you do? Fall ball is coming up and I have an opportunity to make a change. Does staying on this team to teach loyalty and friendship outweigh the frustration and moronic coaching we are dealing with?

Apr 13, 2013
It can be really hard to find a coach your DD and you like. I like DD’s coaches and could post a longer rant then you if I wanted to.

I would try to switch teams if you are able to but do not expect it to be better, hopefully it is but do not count on it.

May 25, 2010
You didn't tell us what age, but for All-stars, I'm leaning toward suggesting the Triple-L solution:

lemonade, lawn chair, left field

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Stick out the summer, switch teams in the fall.
Don't criticize the coach to your DD but feel free to talk about situations that the team could have handled better w/o putting downthe coach.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
@ Hit By the Pitch - I realize the grass may not be greener, but maybe it will at least be encouraged to grow.

@ SoftSocDad - Agreed. Got the lawn chair, always got my tea, and serenity now is my game time mantra. It is a 12U majors team.

@ Sweet Lou - I try to support the coach and show appreciation for his volunteering in front of my daughter. Trouble is she realizes the flaws in his system and asks very direct questions of why. Not an easy coach to support.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
@ Sweet Lou - I try to support the coach and show appreciation for his volunteering in front of my daughter. Trouble is she realizes the flaws in his system and asks very direct questions of why. Not an easy coach to support.
Yeah by 12U they should be able to handle situations you describe. And the kids will notice flaws. Guy sounds in over his head but you are right to support him for stepping up.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
So, this is Little League? Your story is similar to everyone's world wide. The coach does get some flexibility with his own daughter, because, as you mentioned, he is the volunteer.

It really isn't much better, in ASA. Daddy ball is rampant.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
@ Amy in AZ- understood this is common in little league. I could live with the "Daddy Ball" aspect if the girls were learning. It is the complete lack of developmental approach that I want to get away from. Earlier this year when bad throwing techniques were at issue, coaches solution was an afternoon spent playing catch. No proper wrist techniques, no full arm drills, no guidance at all. Just play catch.

Apr 29, 2013
In order for your daughter to get the coaching you desire, I think you're going to have to switch to year-round select softball. And even that isn't a guarantee. Little league coaches become little coaches usually only because they're the ones who raised their hand. Not because they have any particular skill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves