Championship game Changes in Rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
To further add to this: Saw a 10U All-Star rec team go to a TB tourney to "get the girls ready for the rec league state championships". They had never stolen home, never had a DTS (dropped 3rd strike) rule and had never played when there wasn't a run limit. They got absolutely destroyed. Every game.

To see the look on some of those parents faces when they thought they had such an "awesome group of talent!". Parents didn't understand the rules either and were trying to argue the rec rules with the TB umps.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
How do people feel about a rec season with playoffs where the championship and/or semi games are played
with different rules.

Must go 7 innings versus time limit
Instead of 3 inning limit can pitch the whole game
No coach pitch when used all year.
Allowed to steal home....
No run limits versus run limits.
We remove the time limit only for the championship game and play a full 5 innings at 8U and 6 innings 10U and up in our rec league but ALL other rules including run limits, pitching restrictions, etc. remain the same as the regular season.

As others have said, changing the rules for the playoffs or championship is stupid.

Apr 14, 2011
I'm with everybody else on this...changing the rules that you've played with all season for just one game doesn't make any sense. If anything, I like the mid-season rule changes. This lets you start off a little slower, but then add in some "real" rules...rules that will more than likely be used during All Star play later on. I've seen the same thing happen as cmustang mentioned where a "great" team went into a tourney (all stars only, no TB) and got demolished. They had been using some of these weaker rules throughout the entire season an the All Star players AND coaches were all expected to change their entire mentality. Take DTS for example...that takes a lot of getting used to, especially for a rec catcher who isn't as proficient behind the plate...or the first baseman at the other end of the throw!

Jun 24, 2013
Take DTS for example...that takes a lot of getting used to, especially for a rec catcher who isn't as proficient behind the plate...or the first baseman at the other end of the throw!

Don't forget the RF also!. When I taught DTS, I had a sign that I would flash to the catcher, who would then relay it to 1B, who would then relay it to RF. When the other players saw the sign going around they would be ready also. All 3 players were aware of the DTS and ready to act. In the case of an overthrow the RF was right there to scoop it up and 2B was covered in case the runner rounded 1B. In doing this "sign language" (especially at the younger ages 10U/12U) it helped the C hold on to the ball better than shouting out "Catch the ball" or "Don't drop this strike!". I also didn't have to coach 3 players at once, once the signal went in (which was a scissors in action - Think rock,paper, scissors game) the girls knew their responsibility and they owned it. We were very successful on DTS because of it.

Aug 9, 2013
I'm one of the commissioners in a 5 village league. The feedback we got was that coaches didn't like the rule changes even if they could have helped them. We had the following different rules:

Championship - no time limit
Other rounds - once umpire declares final inning, final inning was unlimited runs

I didn't see them as a big deal and could certainly help a team who was trailing be able to come back in win. I would have seen the OP's changes being significant.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would accept the change to a 7 inning game - no time limit, but I would not endorse the other proposed changes.

Jun 11, 2013
I think DTS is one of he stupidest rules in sports. However, it is a rule so you need to learn to deal with it. It was a mess the first half of the season mainly because the umps didn't know the rules. We got much better at it and it definitely made us develop better catchers. The problem with any rule change is that it takes time for it to work it's way through. When you eliminate coach pitching, the pitchers throw more strikes, just not right away.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think DTS is one of he stupidest rules in sports. However, it is a rule so you need to learn to deal with it. It was a mess the first half of the season mainly because the umps didn't know the rules. We got much better at it and it definitely made us develop better catchers. The problem with any rule change is that it takes time for it to work it's way through. When you eliminate coach pitching, the pitchers throw more strikes, just not right away.

not to derail, but it really is a weird rule. Maybe there is some logic behind it but it is strange.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
not to derail, but it really is a weird rule. Maybe there is some logic behind it but it is strange.

Like catching the ball to record an out? Doesn't seem that strange to me.

It's not in effect with less than 2 outs and runner on 1st because at the higher levels drop on purpose will be a double play 95 out of 100 times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413