Championship game Changes in Rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
To be fair, it's always been the rule for championship games, so it wasn't just brought up to help one team. I just never get changing the rules you played with the whole season for 1 game. I killed us one year and helped us another, but still isn't right IMHO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I wouldn't mind if these rules were in place at the start of the season. ( ours always had champ game by innings and not time ) Also the champ game had no pitching restrictions because the rule stated if a pitcher threw more than 3 innings she couldn't pitch the next game. ( there was no NEXT GAME, so............. )

I would though be mad if the rules changed mid-stream without ALL the coaches involved agreeing.

Feb 7, 2013
How do people feel about a rec season with playoffs where the championship and/or semi games are played
with different rules.

Must go 7 innings versus time limit
Instead of 3 inning limit can pitch the whole game
No coach pitch when used all year.
Allowed to steal home....
No run limits versus run limits.

Depending on division, a better option re: pitching I have seen is the following:

8U - both kid pitch and coach pitch half way through the season. After that all kid pitch with 6 out maximum per pitcher (this encourages developing 2 - 3 pitchers per team). Once playoffs start, no pitch limits and championship game is 7 innings. What I like about this is a balance between getting many kids the opportunity to pitch in the regular season but the better pitchers will close out the playoffs and championship games. It also prepares the pitchers for all-stars where there are no pitch limits.

At 10U and beyond, same rules as above but coach pitch completely gone and any one pitcher can pitch up to 9 outs during regular season.

In general, the other rules like stealing and run limits should be the same whether its regular season or playoffs/championship game. I don't see any reason to have a difference. For example, at 10U nothing wrong with DTS, in-field fly rule, and stealing any base.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How do people feel about a rec season with playoffs where the championship and/or semi games are played
with different rules.

Must go 7 innings versus time limit
Instead of 3 inning limit can pitch the whole game
No coach pitch when used all year.
Allowed to steal home....
No run limits versus run limits.

The only one I have an issue with is the allowed to steal home, the rest are easily dealt with. Mainly coaching changes and will definitely allow the team with the best hitters and pitchers to rise to the top, which is what championship is all about. But to change a rule that the players have to remember at a split second, seems hard to change.

Jun 24, 2013
The main problem with changes just for the championship games are this: They haven't practiced it all season long!
So you show up to work on Monday and the boss says "OK, today we are going to do things differently and your bonus depends on it." How would that go over?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67