Catching with an "arm bar"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Hi there,
I'm a former college catcher working with a 12u team and a long time lurker, first time poster here at DFP. I've always been taught as a catcher you should catch the ball with an "arm bar" or straight arm. I've done this all through college and most high level catchers I have seen/competed against also do this but I'm ashamed to say I'm not 100% sure why. For the sake of not teaching my girls something purely because I have always done it this way can anyone speak to what advantage this provides?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
If I understand what you are asking, I guess I always thought you stick it out front so Blue can see it. In runner's position, you catch it closer to the chest as to reduce transition time. But again, I'm just a dad who reads. I may be wrong.

Oct 27, 2009
As Coach Weaver from the NECC teaches in his video, if memory serves me is to beat the ball to the spot and this often requires catching the ball out front so as not to carry the ball out of the strike zone when catching it too deep. This is especially true on a ball that is tailing and/or bending to the outer reaches of the strike zone. I hope I worded this correctly. You do however need to have a little bend in the elbow to absorb some of he shock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG