Catcher's Thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2013
This is DD's first bout with this ailment. Been getting progressively worse over the past few outings. Bought an EvoShield thumb guard and we played catch for a while today without any discomfort. I wish I had one of those when I was a kid, I just had to suck it up for the rest of the season unless we had a long stretch between games.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
what type of mitt does she use? My DD and three other catchers experienced sprains and ligament damage with the Mizuno. Playing catch may not cause discomfort as much as a 50+mph pitch, depending on her age, of course.

Aug 14, 2013
what type of mitt does she use? My DD and three other catchers experienced sprains and ligament damage with the Mizuno. Playing catch may not cause discomfort as much as a 50+mph pitch, depending on her age, of course.

Yep, she uses a Mizuno GXS92 at 12u and our primary pitcher throws in the 50s. I was trying to throw is hard to her last night but my old arm probably doesn't throw in the 50s. We will have to see how it goes in the tournament this weekend.

Aug 24, 2011
Yep, she uses a Mizuno GXS92 at 12u and our primary pitcher throws in the 50s. I was trying to throw is hard to her last night but my old arm probably doesn't throw in the 50s. We will have to see how it goes in the tournament this weekend.

The thing that is so frustrating about catcher's thumb is that it can feel fine and then you can catch a foul tip off of the thumb or just catch a ball wrong and you are right back to where you started. I can still hit my thumb on the steering wheel in my car and get that same thumb pain. It doesn't last nearly as long and doesn't swell but it brings back bad memories and I haven't played in 25 years.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The Evo Shield fixed my thumb problem. It is a great product. You just never know when you are going to get hit just right and then, bruise that thumb.

Apr 1, 2010
The Evo Shield sounded like a great product but DD wasn't able to get her glove on over it while it was setting. With only limited time once the pack was opened, we just went ahead and got it set for her thumb. She wasn't ever able to get her mitt to go on her hand in a way she liked with the thing in place. I think she ended up throwing it away. There's a few more bucks down the drain... :-(

I'm guessing that her hand/finger sizes might be near the upper size for the women's narrow finger stalls found in most fastpitch gloves and mitts and that with the thumb guard in place, she was just too darned big for her mitt. Dunno.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207