catchers helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Was watching a recorded NPF game last night and the catcher kept her helmet on the whole time as well. Good to see its moving up the stream of players. She was wearing a Wilson shock FX.

Yep. It's good to have examples at the top end of the game as we try to get coaches to adjust their approach.

Dec 19, 2012
Longshot - If that reply is too harsh, let me apologize. Long week.

I believe the hockey style masks are designed not to be removed. If you think otherwise then great.

That's not why they were designed. They were designed to protect the entire head from bat "wrap around" when catching.....nothing more. The mask and cap system does not sufficiently protect the sides and back of the head.

Dec 19, 2012
I watched a game the other day and the catcher and #B ran into each other chasing a pop fly foul. Catcher took an elbow to the side of her head. She had to leave the game.

Would you have posted anything if the 3B was the player that took an elbow to the side of the head and had to leave the game? Miscommunication happens and a player gets hurt.

Feb 12, 2014
That's not why they were designed. They were designed to protect the entire head from bat "wrap around" when catching.....nothing more. The mask and cap system does not sufficiently protect the sides and back of the head.

Never said that's not why they were designed. We were talking about whether or not they were designed to be removed and thrown multiple times in a game. That doesn't have anything to do with the why.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Anybody tried the small "men's" Wilson helmet? I've now had 3 orders cancelled on the women's version from the Wilson online store. Our kid had a concussion last year that had her out of ball and on half days at school for 9 months last year, so good head gear is a priority.

I may be able to find the women's locally. Not sure.

The baseball helmet is significantly different than the fastpitch version. Much larger and heavier, and visibility is reduced since the gaps need to be smaller. I would not recommend it for fastpitch.

Dec 19, 2012
Never said that's not why they were designed. We were talking about whether or not they were designed to be removed and thrown multiple times in a game. That doesn't have anything to do with the why.

Okay, fine. They were designed to take a beating so............yes they can be removed and tossed.

Dec 19, 2012
The hockey style masks, such as the FX2, are designed to be worn and not removed unlike a more traditional mask and pot helmet.
Wrong........

Therefore, I consider keeping the mask on and not throwing it to the ground to be proper use. To me, using something in a way that directly violates how the product was designed would violate proper use whether it is widely taught or not. My car didn't come with instructions not to drive it into a lake but I try avoid that. But, to each their own.
Wrong......and silly analogy.[/QUOTE]

Feb 12, 2014
Wrong........

Wrong......and silly analogy.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you think the hockey style masks are made to be repeatedly taken off during a game then more power to you. I believe the helmets should stay on at all times on the field of play and that's what I'm going to teach my DD.

If you think my analogy is silly, then that's fine. You are why we have "Caution: Hot" printed on coffee cups. But, that's cool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06