Catcher's Defense of Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
PC I have to say that we've had our differences on here, but I kind of like that play. Now I probably wouldn't use it for a 1st year 10B team, but if you have a 10A team where the kids can catch and throw pretty well.... why not? I have done "gimmick" plays and it's kinda fun. One in particular I run is; Runner on 1B and a bunt situation (our normal defense is corners crash, if 3B picks up the bunt, pitcher covers 3rd, if anyone other than 3B, 3B gets back to the bag) get the out at 1st. Midway through the game if the opportinuity presents itself, I will call "White", this is where the corners crash, but nobody goes back to 3B, we have our LF creeping in and when the bunt goes down she times herself to cover 3B, once we get the out at 1B, the 3B Coach is usually screaming at the runner to come to 3rd because nobody is there. Then all of a sudden "Poof" the throw comes in to the LF. Now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't due to errors (but almost always the runner is going to 3rd and nobody saw the LF coming in).

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Hey Coach... It wasn't genius on my part... We got among the BEST catcher in the State!!! (not my DD...lol) But when we get big games, and she launches that rocket, and once in a while it goes clear into left....Thats what gave me the idea...We picked up a 9yr that is tons the best too,Hits great also, & plays LF...since I last posted on here.

This weekend the first time the catcher throws to 3 after the runner, it hit the 3 basemen, took her out of the rest of the game. Next time it went over 3rd head, and LF caught it made perfect throw back... Plan z... looked like we practiced it.... you know them guys got more sense than listen to me.... But it Happened !!!

Liked your Play !!! thankz The thing about it is you can practice it, and it keeps the outfielders in the game @ practice. I know...anything can happen, and even routine plays go bad... but once in a while... everything works... :{))

Feb 19, 2012
West US
#5 comes in toward home. The throw goes to #5 while #6 covers 3B.

If she's just dancing out there and isn't a threat, throw back to the pitcher and forget her.

Had a player that was this nuisance in 10u, but was still able to steal home because the defense hadn't practiced this, even though the coach was trying to implement at game time.

Practice it for defense, use it in offense. This becomes a delayed steal at 12u and up, so I might not discount the importance of preparing your players.

Good luck!

RJY

Mar 13, 2010
I can't believe there's so much discussion about this. Teach the catcher to

1) Freeze the runner
2) Fire the ball back to the pitcher
3) Have both pitcher and catcher to watch for the delayed steal

Never forget that once the ball is back in the circle, the runner has to do one of two things, back to the base without hesitation OR advance. I'd also be extremely careful having a 10U catcher throw to 3rd risking a poor throw and run(s) being scored as a result. Many situational things to think about.

Most 10U's aren't ready for this and still need to focus on other fundamental aspects of the game. In other words, I wouldn't be focusing on a catcher's clearing move on a throw to 3rd if she couldn't successfully block a ball in the dirt yet. A simple head turn to freeze on a power line set to 3rd and being ready for the delayed steal is more than enough at the 10U level.

Last edited: