catcher throwing to first on dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
The orange safety bag is for runners and not outs. Also if your player sets up on it you may have an obstruction issue with the baserunner

Ideally the catcher steps into fair territory and throws the the fair side of first base. The runner has the running lane on the foul side of the chalk. On a PB/WP you have no choice but to throw in foul territory and place a tag instead of a foot rave to the bag

On a DK3, the orange bag ceases to exist. Both bags become white and F3 declares which bag she wants based on the catcher's instructions (inside/outside).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Throwing while in fair territory is optimal. Keep in mind that if the ball hits the batter/runner it is a live ball. A throw in foul territory has a better chance of end up near a fence resulting in extra bases.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
D3K from DD's game on Sunday...

If 1B sets up a clear lane in foul territory (outside of the orange bag), the chances of her making this play go way up. Her positioning on the base made handling the not-so-great throw from C more difficult, and she was unable to field the ball cleanly, giving up a base (and eventually a run) on what should have been a strikeout.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Rule reference...

ASA Rule 8.2.M.4 - "On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base the defense and the batter-runner may use either the white or contrasting color portion of the base."

May 28, 2013
I understand this, as it is the rule. I disagree with it, but it is the rule. A runners base, IMHO, is that. A base for the runner. Thankfully, I know of no severe injuries from this being used as a base for getting an out. But I have seen some close misses. We play a good number of our games, in places where we do not have the "Orange" base, but I still think it should never be used, by a fielding team, in order to get an out. Once again, Just my opinion.

Feb 18, 2014
I understand this, as it is the rule. I disagree with it, but it is the rule. A runners base, IMHO, is that. A base for the runner. Thankfully, I know of no severe injuries from this being used as a base for getting an out. But I have seen some close misses. We play a good number of our games, in places where we do not have the "Orange" base, but I still think it should never be used, by a fielding team, in order to get an out. Once again, Just my opinion.

So to clarify, you would prefer, that if on a 3DS that is picked up in foul territory, the catcher throw through the area that will be occupied by your runner.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Personally, I'm going to continue to teach young players to play by the rules - including the rules that allow a greater level of safety or efficiency.

Sep 9, 2015

I encourage you to teach your batters to use the base unoccupied by the fielder making a play on the foul side as they may not be aware that they should do so. On occasion, our players thought that they had a "right" to the safety base (which may be the case in rec leagues). If they collide with the fielder when the other side of the base is open, they will be called for interference and may cause an unnecessary collision/injury. Equally important, make sure the fielders know not to stand on the bag if there is no play or they will be called for obstruction.

May 28, 2013
No, I would argue that the catcher have to make the play by moving themselves to a clear throwing lane(and I am a catchers dad). Really I get it, I do. But the lack of consistency between parks with and without the safety base, is confusing for players, Until they have the experience to make their own correct decisions. (mostly 10u), but at 12u you are still seeing a good percentage of kids that are still new to the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1