Cancelled tournament blues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Dang! DD and I were up, dressed and eager to jump in the car to head back to the park, when I got the text that the tournament had been cancelled due to the weather.

It's currently about 33 degrees. I looked at the forecast and it's not that bad, IMO there wouldn't be any real problem playing in this:
Overcast with snow, then snow and rain in the afternoon. High of 43F. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of snow 60% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.​

They are such wusses!

On the plus (parental braggy) side, DD had several hits and RBIs this weekend, including a double to deep center last night that drove in a couple, a ton of blocked balls and a bang-bang tagout of a runner trying to score from second on a hit to left field (DD tagged her and then immediately shifted her feet and looked to the batter-runner at second to see if she could make a play there. I thought, "Chaz would be proud!"). Things were a little shaky for the girls yesterday: first tournament of the season, a lot of practice time lost due to the weather and playing up all combined, but they seemed to be getting their feet under them. Their defense was sharpening up and they were getting their bats going too. The girls'll end this tourney at 2-2 and have to wait to fight another day, LOL.

I guess I can go get some extra sleep, but I was sure looking forward to watching the girls play. There are moments which make one long for a warmer clime...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
It is amazing how fast a tourney goes when things are going good.... Congrats to yer DD.

Here in east-central WI we are still waiting for the wrath of winter to break and the first throw to be made outside.

Where is global warming when you need it!?!?!!??? Darn you Al Gore!!

Curious - Are you getting a refund of some sort back?

Apr 1, 2010
It is amazing how fast a tourney goes when things are going good.... Congrats to yer DD.

Here in east-central WI we are still waiting for the wrath of winter to break and the first throw to be made outside.

Where is global warming when you need it!?!?!!??? Darn you Al Gore!!

Curious - Are you getting a refund of some sort back?

Thanks! LOL, I shouldn't be whining about losing one day of play--I should be remembering there are folks who are still waiting to play. I hope you won't have to wait much longer in Wisconsin! I am grateful for a day of softball and spring really will be here eventually. Yes, I want my global warming, er, but not in the summer. :) It already gets hot as Hades here then.

Nah, no refund, it was a 4 GG tourney. We got our four with two pool games early yesterday and two bracket games in the evening, so there's no cause for complaint. (Drove to the fields in the dark, drove home from the fields in the dark--that's a good day of softball!) But darn it, LOL, the girls had won the right to a 5th game (against an opponent they should beat). And they matched up well against the likely game 6 opponent. If they won the sixth game, however, they were going to come up against one of two stronger teams in game 7. I didn't see good odds for them playing past that step today. Would have been good experience for them, though, I'm sorry they're missing out on it.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Maybe we will get March weather all summer. My guess is the temps will go from consistant 40s to consistant 90s, no in between. Just watching the morning news and St Patty's day here in DSM has been 75+ degrees the last 5 years, last year being 84. Right now it is 27, and rain/snow/wind, 30 degree temps for the next week. It's gonna be awhile!

Apr 1, 2010
Oh, that's right, the front hit Des Moines first and came right on down. It was beautiful here on Thursday (73) and Friday (84), if only the cold had stayed up in Canada for a few more days! I think only the hardiest of souls will be going to St Patrick's Day parades in the Midwest today.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's currently about 33 degrees. I looked at the forecast and it's not that bad, IMO there wouldn't be any real problem playing in this:

Overcast with snow, then snow and rain in the afternoon. High of 43F. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the North in the afternoon. Chance of snow 60% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.​

They are such wusses!

Sure let's play. I would have to drag DD into the car, and DW would be whining the enitre way to the game.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We were scheduled to play our first dbl header of the spring today. Instead it is 35 and we've gotten about 6 inches of rain.:(
It was 70 and sunny Friday.
On a lighter note it was 50 and overcast yesterday so we did have our first practice outside. Might be a good thing we didn't play today. Still, we are all bummed!

Apr 9, 2012
As it turned out the weather never hit and it was as nice of a day sunday as it was saturday.

It was good to see you MsD and your DD again. She had a great weekend.

Apr 1, 2010
As it turned out the weather never hit and it was as nice of a day sunday as it was saturday.

It was good to see you MsD and your DD again. She had a great weekend.

Thanks, Ken! It was great seeing you, M and K again too! We did get rain up our way, but it didn't start until mid-afternoon. They could have gotten most if not all of the tournament in. The cancellation was truly a bad deal for your team--there you were, one of the few left sitting in the winner's bracket, well poised to make a run at the championship.

Apr 1, 2010
Sure let's play. I would have to drag DD into the car, and DW would be whining the enitre way to the game.

A few years ago, I'd have been dragging DD and DH would have been whining the entire way to the game (and possibly all during it...). Now DD is nagging me to hurry up and get in the car so she can be there early, and DH usually stays home, sleeps in and then works around the house. We're all a lot happier this way!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi