Can Injuries be Prevented Earlier rather than later?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Natasha Hawkins

Building a Better Athlete
May 30, 2013
Redding, CA
Hi, thought this might be a good topic. How many of you have your child in some fort of fitness or workout plan? How many of those plans help in preventing injury later on in your athletes career?

Dec 7, 2011
The longer I am associated with this sport, and its pitchers, I am more and more believing that we as generally unaware parents are sending our pitching DD's into high risk for injury. There seems to be soooooo many pitchers ailing pretty bad in the HS ranks (college too).

DD here is part of a big D1 HS with trainers & training programs BUT I feel pitchers need some specific training regimens to support their longevity in pitching.

We have so many PC's with plans on pitching a better pitch. We have so many general training programs. This does not cover how to sustain yourself over years of pitching 9-12 months out of the year.

In jest I mentioned to Mr Hillhouse the other day that with all his back challenges that he should create a fastpitch pitchers regimen for healthy supporting bodies and he would make some more millions! :)

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
An injury preventative, pitching specific fitness plan is the number one thing I insist on with all of my pitchers. It's as much a part of my teaching now as the actual pitching mechanics. I went through hell stupidly ignoring it when I was a player (and am still dealing with some of the consequences), and there is an immense difference between my students who heed my advice where strength training is concerned and those who don't.

Apr 16, 2013
From the BB side of things, we absolutely have a program designed to keep her arm healthy. We changed her arm slot over this past winter to a more lat driven throw. Exercises were done all winter long to ingrain a good and stronger pronation into her throw. After pitching she does exercises to flush out the lactic acid and strengthen/tighten the rear delt. The more I think about the kinesiology of a softball pitch, the more I think those exact exercises would benefit a SB pitcher too. It seems to me the deceleration of the arm would use many of the same muscles whether overhand or underhand pitching.

I would think a good overall weight lifting program for any age (age appropriate of course) could help to prevent soft tissue injuries, as well as make bones and ligaments stronger and resistant to injury. I also believe nutrition plays a HUGE role in maintaining healthy joints, bones, and soft tissue. I specifically make sure my DD eats very healthily. I also give her a cocktail of herbs that specifically reduces inflammation. (For those interested: Turmeric, Ginger root, Green Tea extract, and fish oils.)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I believe that many of the injuries we see in college are in fact avoidable. Parents need to not allow,or in many cases, encourage overuse of their dds in their younger years. Especially in pitchers. I don't think you need a fancy fitness program aimed at one position, just basic fitness and exercise would be great, and then don't use them like they are pack mules on the field.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD's basketball coach made varsity wear ankle braces (maybe wrong word) and knee pads. Her's was one of the recent programs that I saw with everything iced,after practice, that the trainer could hang a bag on. Her program was a winning one, due to keeping her players healthy.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
sportsmedicine.about.com/od/injuryprevention/a/ACL_prevention.h... Yes ! In conversations with many softball players that played on team USA they all endorse this. In our area all soccer players from local high schools have went thru this including my dd and ACL type injuries were reduced. google Santa Monica injury prevention or PEP and you can read all about it. assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0004/0565/The_Santa_Monica_ACL_...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan