PSA: Cardiac Arrest and AED availability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Hi all - due to the recent tragic event of Damar Hamlin suffering a cardiac arrest on the football field after being tackled, I just wanted to bring up a good PSA. If you are a board member for your local Little League or travel team, it might be a great idea to look into obtaining an AED for your facility where you frequently practice/play games. This device is critical in being able to reverse a lethal arrhythmia that can occur after sustaining a blow to the chest (eg ball hit back to pitcher). Coupled with effective CPR, it can be the difference-maker between life and death in those first few critical minutes before an ambulance and EMS crew can make it to the scene.

They are very easy to obtain, and if you do an internet search, there are many organizations that will sponsor obtaining one for your facility for free. You can also reach out to your local EMS group and they can also assist you with the proper resources to obtain one.

Just thought it might be a good time to remind everyone that sudden cardiac arrest can and does occur in children, the one demographic you typically don’t think of when it comes to heart issues.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I agree with the above. If you can source them locally, do so.

I actually sell AED's as an industrial safety distributor. We are experiencing horrible lead times on these due to supply chain issues with the components.

The Zoll product in my opinion is the best product on the market that anyone can use. It gives feedback on depth of compressions, voiced instructions and the fully automatic version will initiate the shock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad