Can I legally teach/have my girls bunt in 6-7 yr old little league softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I have scoured the rule book and cannot find anywhere it says I cannot have them bunt. So is this legal? I think it would put them at a huge advantage knowing how to and bunting in the right situation.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Check your local rules. Our LL lets them start bunting when it is full player pitch. Nothing wrong with teaching them now.

Mar 3, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I've checked the rulebook and cannot find a rule that says I can't have them bunt. Our rulebook is the 2013 little league softball official regulations and rule book that is orange and white that's put out by Little League

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Every LL level has different rules. TBall, Coach pitch, Player/Coach pitch combo and then full Player pitch. Here is the rule from our local LL AAA level which is player,coach combo pitch. Check the local rules.

Bunting: No Bunting. A ball that is swung at and only travels a few feet is not considered a bunt

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Many leagues use the foul arc which would nullify most bunts anyway.

Most coach pitch leagues don't allow it but if yours does I guess you can try it. I know in our league it would be considered pretty poor sportsmanship to employ bunting at that age to gain an edge. I know bunting is an integral part of the game but it can be learned when they start playing player pitch.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I've checked the rulebook and cannot find a rule that says I can't have them bunt. Our rulebook is the 2013 little league softball official regulations and rule book that is orange and white that's put out by Little League

LL rule books doesn't cover tee-ball/coach pitch in much detail. Most leagues have their own local rules to govern play and in almost all cases ban bunting in coach pitch. Best to ask the people running the league what their expectations are.

Also pitch hard and fast. It will benefit the girls long term (and they WILL catch up to it if you do it all the time). No mater how hard you are coach pitching it is almost certain that you are not pitching hard enough.

May 25, 2010
I have scoured the rule book and cannot find anywhere it says I cannot have them bunt. So is this legal? I think it would put them at a huge advantage knowing how to and bunting in the right situation.

Please explain what you mean by 'huge advantage'. I want to be certain I understand what you're saying before I reply in full.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Knowing how to bunt is an important skill in softball, but I would worry that 6-7 year olds who learn to bunt before they can swing may use it as a "crutch" and would never take the time/effort to learn a correct swing and how to time a pitch. You could end up with a whole team of bunters who give up softball because they are behind their peers by 10U.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55