Can 11th grade play JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2014
I believe in Most states, only Seniors cannot be on JV. In NJ, at least in my DD school there were a bunch of juniors on JV.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The way I read Florida high school Softball Coaches manual bylaws, it appears that they do it by age here. 16yrs 9mths for JV. HS max is 19yrs 9mth. 4 yrs consecutive eligibility starting the day they enter 9th grade (so if you play HS as a middle schooler your 4 yrs eligibility is not effected so at some combined MS/HS campuses you could technically play 7 years - and there is even a bylaw stopping middle schoolers staying back an extra year to make it 8).

This is of course complicated by the overriding 216 page FHSSA handbook document which has some language specific to football that complicates things unintentionally (maybe) along with some strange one off very specific sections which have clearly been added to stop some school trying to find a loophole or bend a rule (like last year trying to classify a kid from Miami living with his uncle since he was 8 and attending local schools as an international student because his parents technically lived overseas - which they claimed would then make him eligible to play for his school of choice.)

It is all very complicated and clearly dependent on where you live.

Jul 31, 2011
This is from the NYC PSAL rules:

10 .3. A student-athlete is eligible for junior varsity competition in grades 9 and 10 up until his/her 17th birthday. A student who turns 17 on or after July 1 may continue to participate during that school year .

I do not know if that applies outside of NYC

Feb 21, 2012
I believe in Virginia they can. The JV coach may not want a junior, that would be a different story (the philosophical stuff that others have raised).

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I don't think so Ray. I believe that upperclassmen have to play varsity. Right now I don't have the time to read through the IHSA rule book for softball right now. Tryouts are going on right now. They started today.

I don't believe there is anything regarding IHSA by-laws. There may be conference rules.

I've known of seniors to play on JV in Illinois. Some girls enjoy playing and don't quite cut it at the varsity level. If you cut them then the JV team may not have enough players to play.

What are they going to do make you forfeit a JV game? Scores aren't even reported.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55