Calling Ptiches - Why are coaches so bad at it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was looking for something else but ran across these few pages. At quick glance it looks good. ( caution, it does use the "F" word )

d8fabafe076ffa7e762e9f61a09d3c5e.jpg
[/IMG]
0b54a3d4518c80178591ecca3bd678f7.jpg
[/IMG]
075fb11db4dad426d9802338b5c7b14e.jpg
[/IMG]

Oct 17, 2011
DD is @ 10u.... the only one who can throw the calls is my DD. She catches, and gets the signals from coach... she knows the rest can't deliver the call... so I tell her to throw what ever she wants. As long as it is the opposite of the last pitch she just thru.

I want to make sure I am understanding this before I say anything out of line. Are you saying that you are NOT the coach and you are telling your daughter not to listen to what the coach says?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am old catcher, and happen to be good at calling pitches. Even when the pitcher only has half her arsenal. :rolleyes: My pitchers generally give up fewer runs when I'm calling pitches than when an inexperienced catcher is calling them. BUT...

I teach the catchers to call the pitches so they get good at it. Sooner rather than later they get better at it than me because they have a much better view of what's working and what isn't, they're working with the pitcher on a one-to-one basis, and they're actually in the game. I'll usually set the core strategy ahead of time -- such as throw at least one changeup to a hitter until they prove they can hit it -- but let the catchers call the game. I may call a pitch from the bench if I really feel strongly that something should be called. Other times I'll think what the catcher should call but see what she does. That way, if she doesn't call what I thought of and it doesn't work out, I can blame her. :)

As was pointed out previously it's different for college coaches. They have information up the wazoo about each hitter, plus the coach's tendencies, plus what that hitter has been doing recently. Most of the time I'm looking at the hitter and guessing based on a quick evaluation of her body type, swing and position in the lineup.

Have to be careful with those charts of what to call when, too. I've had hitting students who were deadly on the inside half and struggled on the outside half. I'll tell them to crowd the plate for the express purpose of drawing an inside pitch they can crush, and turning an outside pitch into a middle pitch. I've also taught a few of my more advanced hitters how to start in a certain position in the batter's box to draw a particular pitch, then slide their back foot into or away from the plate on their negative move to set themselves up to pound the pitch from their actual position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog