Bustos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Me

rbass

I was not referring to you reference Bustos teaching methods, sorry if you took it that I was.

I tried to PM you so as to not get off topic in the thread again, but for some reason it was giving me a scrip error and not allow me to send a PM. I am at work during the day sometimes we have a down period and I can post and when it gets busy I do my job and cannot post again until down time comes around again and at times it may take a day or two, so sorry if I am slow to respond at times.

rbass

What do I like about the DVD(s)?

Just to be honest with ya there is probably not enough time in my day for me to post what all I like about the series, DD has been to a number of college camps and learned a great deal IMO the teaching of Bustos and Howard takes what was learned at the camps to a higher level. DD took the DVD series to college where her BA 491 for the year highest on the team. DD may have the distinction of being the slowest runner in softball to day so she gets no cheap hits. She has been fortunate to work one on one with Howard and attend a camp by Bustos and learned a great deal during both opportunities. She and I review the 7 Steps of Hitting DVD when she gets a little of track on her mechanics and go back to the basics.

She and I review the drills to make sure we are getting the most out of the drills as shown on the DVDs, my memory is not as good at my age and I have to review to make sure what DD does is what is demonstrated on the DVDs.

Not referring to you rbass, but many question the drill you show Bustos performing and location of the pitch she is working on and I will be the first to tell you that I do not speak for Howard or Bustos. IMO only if you watched the college world series how many players did you see swing and miss at the rise ball up in the strike zone and out of the zone? In a perfect world you would never swing at that pitch out of the zone, but if you live in the same world as I do then you realize that sometimes your going to be fooled and swing at the pitch out of the zone or be forced to by an inconsistent ump who may call a pitch out of the zone a strike, the best college players in softball were fooled often. It may mean the difference between being a champion or second place. Working on proper mechanics to be able to hit that high pitch out of the zone with authority or even inside or outside pitches out of the zone can only benefit the hitter who strives to be the best they can be IMO.

Another point brought up in this thread is the importance of the Hanson Principal IMO it does have its place, although it has a few holes in it such as people seeing what they want to see, when 10 people see the same thing and you may get 10 different versions of what was witnessed. It bothers me sometimes that some who follow that principal seems to change their minds according to whatever direction the wind is blowing. Of all the camps, clinics and hitting instruction I have been to not once was the HP described as a vital part of a hitters regiment.

Peppers,
As far as the PM error...not sure what happened. I don't get any PM's from the posters because I guess maybe because of how I am portrayed and lied about by some( not you peppers). I'll keep thinking that it's a glitch in the system and not a personal thing...
I thank you for your response and detailed explanation. I will have to re-read and get back to you.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree you wont hear college coaches speaking of the Hanson Principle. The few that I have spoken too. Also the few that I have spoken too look at me real funny when I say...'turn the barrel to the ball'....'corner' IR...ER.... 'missing frames'. That seems to be only DFP and other sites speak. It doesn't mean it isn't in the swing or/nor shouldn't be used. This is where I 'learned' the swing, that I teach my DD. These are the terms I use because I don't know any other terms. Again JMHO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree you wont hear college coaches speaking of the Hanson Principle. The few that I have spoken too. Also the few that I have spoken too look at me real funny when I say...'turn the barrel to the ball'....'corner' IR...ER.... 'missing frames'. That seems to be only DFP and other sites speak. It doesn't mean it isn't in the swing or/nor shouldn't be used. This is where I 'learned' the swing, that I teach my DD. These are the terms I use because I don't know any other terms. Again JMHO.

You may not hear them speak of the "Hanson Principle", but you will frequently hear them make references to how the best hitters in the game (including baseball) swing a bat .... which is basically the "Hanson Principle".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Peppers,
As far as the PM error...not sure what happened. I don't get any PM's from the posters because I guess maybe because of how I am portrayed and lied about by some( not you peppers). I'll keep thinking that it's a glitch in the system and not a personal thing...
I thank you for your response and detailed explanation. I will have to re-read and get back to you.

What I see in Peppers post to you is a lot of fluff. There is no answer to Mann’s question in his post. A lot words typed, but he dodged the question IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A 'fluffer' and 'no happy ending' you say.....:eek:
I hope someone finds the humor in my post.

What I got out of Peppers post was that he is guessing ... and wrongly. Has me wondering if he actually viewed the DVD or is instead simply guessing at the intent based on the swing clip that Mann put up in his original post.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...many question the drill you show Bustos performing and location of the pitch she is working on and I will be the first to tell you that I do not speak for Howard or Bustos. IMO only if you watched the college world series how many players did you see swing and miss at the rise ball up in the strike zone and out of the zone? In a perfect world you would never swing at that pitch out of the zone, but if you live in the same world as I do then you realize that sometimes your going to be fooled and swing at the pitch out of the zone or be forced to by an inconsistent ump who may call a pitch out of the zone a strike, the best college players in softball were fooled often. It may mean the difference between being a champion or second place. Working on proper mechanics to be able to hit that high pitch out of the zone with authority or even inside or outside pitches out of the zone can only benefit the hitter who strives to be the best they can be IMO.

Just trying to understand...The clip of Bustos posted by mann in post #1 of this thread is a demonstration of how to hit a riseball up and out of the strike zone?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

For those that have pitchers in the family, you also will not hear many college coaches speak of I/R or brush interference. But there is little debate in the pitching forum of their merit. The terms you have listed are no different. And as FFS has stated, just because the Hanson Principle is not used by name, doesn't mean the coaches are not using their own verification process with the mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
...many question the drill you show Bustos performing and location of the pitch she is working on and I will be the first to tell you that I do not speak for Howard or Bustos. IMO only if you watched the college world series how many players did you see swing and miss at the rise ball up in the strike zone and out of the zone? In a perfect world you would never swing at that pitch out of the zone, but if you live in the same world as I do then you realize that sometimes your going to be fooled and swing at the pitch out of the zone or be forced to by an inconsistent ump who may call a pitch out of the zone a strike, the best college players in softball were fooled often. It may mean the difference between being a champion or second place. Working on proper mechanics to be able to hit that high pitch out of the zone with authority or even inside or outside pitches out of the zone can only benefit the hitter who strives to be the best they can be IMO.

Just trying to understand...The clip of Bustos posted by mann in post #1 of this thread is a demonstration of how to hit a riseball up and out of the strike zone?

No ................

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Since no one seems to know what she teaches or what is on the dvds. Maybe the discussion could be on her hitting attributes. My interest has always been in how sudden her swing is. Don't know for sure, but I would imagine it was hard to get anything past her, or fool her much on off speed. Looks like she would just square up on everything.

crystalbustos1.gif
BustosSwing1.gif
bustos-swing-comp.png