Bustos - Howard Carrier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Tubby Said:
Trout turning open AS he moves out....LONG before the foot is ever weighted....
He didn't mean to say it, but he got caught up in the debate. And when pressed, THE TRUTH actually came out... The admission makes the point that both HIPS and LEGS are used. You see, that front hip is turning itself over - in mid air - independent of the rear hip. The rear hip, which was internally rotated during the move-out, is now becoming HELD EXTERNAL ROTATION (watch the rear foot and how they try to hold onto what's happening in the rear hip). The external rotation in the front hip, is causing a stretch across the PELVIS region. At one point, both hips have external rotation and the hitter can sit in a NATURAL squat position. This is the bow legged squat that you see in the videos below. The knees are facing out (away from each other in relationship to the pelvis), and the hitter can drop his/her COG. In addition, we have SSC. The held external rotation of the rear hip is now stretched to a point that it can fire hard into INTERNAL ROTATION. The externally stretched front hip can fire hard into internal rotation as well.

There's more.... But that's enough for now.

Wait a minute. I mentioned REAR HIP FLEXION as being a very important piece of the puzzle. Notice how these guys also seem to lean back - but not really? Kinda changes their COG. Ever hear the cue "stride out as if you are landing on thin ice"? And check out the rear hip. The SSC opposite move for rear hip flexion is REAR HIP EXTENSION THRU THE BALL.... That is when the front leg becomes weighted (that one is for you JJ my Squeeze - kiss kiss). These are all fire and re-fire moves. They are dynamic. They are the opposite of all back/all forward. and they are not the same as the lame SnF that is bantered around here.

Okay, now I'm done. I have to put the ribs on the smoker.

TroutOverlap.gif

braun_side_60.gif

CDavisOverlap.gif
konerkogifHS.gif

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I've had fun reading this thread the past few days.

In a related aside, this clip of Davis really shows the stretching of his core (look at the creases in the uniform pants and jersey) as he moves out. I'm going to use this to show my hitters how this should look, and more importantly, get them to feel it.

CDavisOverlap.gif

Thanks for the GIF.

Attachments

• Stretch (Look at the Uniform Creases).jpg
    Stretch (Look at the Uniform Creases).jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
May 3, 2014
So, what do the members think here? Should the front lower side open as the rear lower side stay back to create stretch allowing the upper half to work on squaring up the ball? Or should the rear lower side stay back and the upper half coil around it as the front side reacts to whatever happens next?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Here is a great summary-

I am an idiot.
Tds has an rear fetish :)
Howe is the DFP version of the riddler.
TM is Jim jones and Eric and I have red lips from the kool aid
Chipper jones was skinny in HS
European long jumpers look funny
Something about a two step volleyball approach
Rdbass is not posting funny gifs

Oh- and keeping your weight back is a really good idea.

Funny Stuff.....

ps. When one man calls another man a bitch, I thought that meant he was gay...:)
I could be wrong though...

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Riddle me this:

konerkogifHS.gif

Couple of clues:
  • rear foot
  • stretch across the pelvis
  • ability to sit
  • Kelvin links posted yesterday

I dont know this kid, hope it is ok with the dad to make a comment on why I think he likes the drill.
Momentum, hitting the ball farther, sequence feels good.

Giving lessons, the girl will say once in awhile, that felt good. It comes from a good sequence and the walk up drill stretch's you out.
It also forces you to have weight shift and get off the back side.

One comment on the lower game swing. If he had his front shoulder level or alittle down, he would hit it farther....

Straightleg

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
SL,
That's Paul Konerko in HS. This is him hitting his 400th career HR:
Konerko400.gif

I can't speak for the young man either, but those would be my impressions and experience as well. Confining hitters to just spinning is a sin IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The admission makes the point that both HIPS and LEGS are used. You see, that front hip is turning itself over - in mid air - independent of the rear hip. The rear hip, which was internally rotated during the move-out, is now becoming HELD EXTERNAL ROTATION (watch the rear foot and how they try to hold onto what's happening in the rear hip). The external rotation in the front hip, is causing a stretch across the PELVIS region. At one point, both hips have external rotation and the hitter can sit in a NATURAL squat position. This is the bow legged squat that you see in the videos below. The knees are facing out (away from each other in relationship to the pelvis), and the hitter can drop his/her COG. In addition, we have SSC. The held external rotation of the rear hip is now stretched to a point that it can fire hard into INTERNAL ROTATION. The externally stretched front hip can fire hard into internal rotation as well.

Regardless of the fued, these are the type of posts I look forward to. Thanks Howe.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Tubby Said:
Trout turning open AS he moves out....LONG before the foot is ever weighted....

He didn't mean to say it, but he got caught up in the debate. And when pressed, THE TRUTH actually came out... The admission makes the point that both HIPS and LEGS are used. You see, that front hip is turning itself over - in mid air - independent of the rear hip. The rear hip, which was internally rotated during the move-out, is now becoming HELD EXTERNAL ROTATION (watch the rear foot and how they try to hold onto what's happening in the rear hip). The external rotation in the front hip, is causing a stretch across the PELVIS region. At one point, both hips have external rotation and the hitter can sit in a NATURAL squat position. This is the bow legged squat that you see in the videos below. The knees are facing out (away from each other in relationship to the pelvis), and the hitter can drop his/her COG. In addition, we have SSC. The held external rotation of the rear hip is now stretched to a point that it can fire hard into INTERNAL ROTATION. The externally stretched front hip can fire hard into internal rotation as well.

There's more.... But that's enough for now.

Wait a minute. I mentioned REAR HIP FLEXION as being a very important piece of the puzzle. Notice how these guys also seem to lean back - but not really? Kinda changes their COG. Ever hear the cue "stride out as if you are landing on thin ice"? And check out the rear hip. The SSC opposite move for rear hip flexion is REAR HIP EXTENSION THRU THE BALL.... That is when the front leg becomes weighted (that one is for you JJ my Squeeze - kiss kiss). These are all fire and re-fire moves. They are dynamic. They are the opposite of all back/all forward. and they are not the same as the lame SnF that is bantered around here.

Okay, now I'm done. I have to put the ribs on the smoker.

braun_side_60.gif

CDavisOverlap.gif
konerkogifHS.gif

for bold above Hamilton
i-82dBSjj-S.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members