Bunt coverage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD's coach teaches leaving the 1st baseman at 1st. 2nd base covers second, SS covers 3rd, 3rd, pitcher and catcher charges bunt. Has been very effective...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My DD's coach teaches leaving the 1st baseman at 1st. 2nd base covers second, SS covers 3rd, 3rd, pitcher and catcher charges bunt. Has been very effective...

...but leaves 3/4 of the infield (entire right side and half the left side) open for a fake bunt/pull back swing, poke, slap.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
We see this all the time. Lead runner on second. Batter shows bunt and the lead runner steals. The batter takes the pitch. The third baseman has left to cover the bunt. Now it's a race between SS and the runner. Tough play to make.

3rd baseman should not be charging when the batter shows bunt. She should be creeping until the ball is bunted, then sprint in. The same goes for all the players. Many times, I have called for a fake bunt just to watch the defensive movement before I call a play.

Feb 3, 2011
One of the worst sights during normal game play is watching 4 infielders - each only half-committed to making the play - surrounding a bunted ball.

Feb 7, 2013
A couple of things to think about.

At 10u you can get away with using the pitcher a lot on bunt coverage because of the short pitching distance 35 feet. At 14u they are pitching at 43 feet and it takes a few more steps to get to a bunt. Plus the batter/baserunners are a lot faster and more accurate with bunt placement. Also you suggested having 3rd stay back with a runner on 2nd. We still have 3rd crash on bunts and have SS cheat over a little towards 3rd base. If you have a catcher with a good arm and a SS who is quick, the baserunner rarely steals third base.

As the players get better, I like 1st base covering the bunt because you will see more specialized lefty slappers who can drag bunt down the 1st base line and it's less likely the pitcher will be able to consistently field a well placed bunt or drag bunt to the right side.

In general, I like teaching the players the correct way to play their positions that they will be using as they move up in age classifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck