"Bullpen" Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
So this will be a new situation for me, but I felt like asking just for my own knowledge. My local 16U rec/TB league has started up again and I'm coaching a new team at a new field that has a batting cage (net) on/behind the home (3B) dugout side. Obviously, I plan to use this if I need a pitcher/catcher to warm up in preparation for going into a game. Here's my question: Am I obliged to allow a visiting/opposing team to use this cage for the same purpose during a game, whether or not they ask to? My gut says no - it's clearly on one side of the field for a reason, however having never coached at/on a field with these nets before, I'm not sure what standard "etiquette" is in a situation like this. Any clarity would be helpful. =)

Jun 8, 2016
So this will be a new situation for me, but I felt like asking just for my own knowledge. My local 16U rec/TB league has started up again and I'm coaching a new team at a new field that has a batting cage (net) on/behind the home (3B) dugout side. Obviously, I plan to use this if I need a pitcher/catcher to warm up in preparation for going into a game. Here's my question: Am I obliged to allow a visiting/opposing team to use this cage for the same purpose during a game, whether or not they ask to? My gut says no - it's clearly on one side of the field for a reason, however having never coached at/on a field with these nets before, I'm not sure what standard "etiquette" is in a situation like this. Any clarity would be helpful. =)
Are you obliged to? Probably not...but if you don't want to be an as* let them use it..

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
I'm a big proponent of leading with kindness. Maybe I'm too nice, who knows. I have been known to set up a net or share balls with the opposing team. Personally, I'd let then use it as well but I would make sure the use was strategic so my girls were warmed up as we were heading into the game rather than going first and cooling down too much.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Just because it's behind the 3rd base dugout doesn't mean it belongs to that team. There could be several reasons why it's located there or maybe they just flipped a coin when it came to where to build it. And since you asked about etiquette then it's a definite yes.

Jul 19, 2021
Not that you have the authority to dictate who uses it, because you don't, but the better question is why on earth would you not "let" them use it? Strategy? In 16U rec?

16U Rec should be laid back, not cut throat.

Jun 1, 2015
Thank you all for the feedback. To clarify a few points:

> As I mentioned, I've never coached on a field WITH a cage/"bullpen" setup, so I didn't know how to approach things.
> Perhaps it's naivety from my POV - I would figure if there wasn't a cage on my side of the field but was one on the other, that I wasn't supposed to use it. I figure(d) it was there for a specific reason (i.e. the home team's use, etc.)
> Even though I mentioned this is 16U rec/TB, it IS competitive because we as a league treat it as such. To the point of being cutthroat? Not close. But everything else we approach is almost like a subdued second high school season (mainly as this league is aimed at the girls who are not TB players but could use extra work/experience so they could make an impact next HS season). I've been coaching in it for 9 years (running it for 5) and it's only gotten better since (minus 2020 for obvious reasons).

Again, appreciate the assistance from everyone. :)

May 13, 2023
Thank you all for the feedback. To clarify a few points:

> As I mentioned, I've never coached on a field WITH a cage/"bullpen" setup, so I didn't know how to approach things.
> Perhaps it's naivety from my POV - I would figure if there wasn't a cage on my side of the field but was one on the other, that I wasn't supposed to use it. I figure(d) it was there for a specific reason (i.e. the home team's use, etc.)
> Even though I mentioned this is 16U rec/TB, it IS competitive because we as a league treat it as such. To the point of being cutthroat? Not close. But everything else we approach is almost like a subdued second high school season (mainly as this league is aimed at the girls who are not TB players but could use extra work/experience so they could make an impact next HS season). I've been coaching in it for 9 years (running it for 5) and it's only gotten better since (minus 2020 for obvious reasons).

Again, appreciate the assistance from everyone. :)
There are some D1 college programs and other colleges that only have one area of hitting cages and pitching bull pins. They are shared.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Our HS has two 70-foot cages. We let the other team use them after we get our hitting in. Still, I have been amazed at the number of schools that do not let us use their cages.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad