Breaking in to coaching school ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

The game of softball especially at the MS/HS level has very minimal requirements for physical conditioning and IMO time is best spent learning the game and on activities that will make the athlete and team successful. I wish coaches spent as much time in the early years on things like teaching a kid to get a bunt down as they do on "conditioning".

IMHO, there are too many out there that substitute running/conditioning for actual practice time. It makes a good 'filler" that takes up time, and sends the girls (and coaches) home sweaty and satisfied that they 'worked hard'.
I never understood running laps around the field, when softball is really a game of sprints.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
IMHO, there are too many out there that substitute running/conditioning for actual practice time. It makes a good 'filler" that takes up time, and sends the girls (and coaches) home sweaty and satisfied that they 'worked hard'.
I never understood running laps around the field, when softball is really a game of sprints.

If the practices are conducted properly conditioning is a byproduct, not an activity. You should be able to send them home exhausted without spending precious practice time on "conditioning".

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I'm okay with some conditioning during practice time in the pre-season, as long as it's done well and doesn't use too much time. I'm currently designing practice plans to incorporate conditioning and drills. The plan is to gradually decrease the conditioning time to 0 over the next 5 weeks.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm okay with some conditioning during practice time in the pre-season, as long as it's done well and doesn't use too much time. I'm currently designing practice plans to incorporate conditioning and drills. The plan is to gradually decrease the conditioning time to 0 over the next 5 weeks.

Up where you are you may need to do conditioning to keep from freezing. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have an opportunity to be an AC for our local middle school, and I'm seriously considering it. One of my main questions is: is being an AC in MS a reasonable 1st step to getting into coaching HS eventually? Seems to me to be as low on the totem pole as it gets?

I have not read all of the responses, but my best advice would be to coach the middle school team like you would a TB team. Make it fun AND educational for the girls so they would WANT to play for you if they had a choice. Avoid the temptation to become a dictator simply because the players do not have a choice....

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I have not read all of the responses, but my best advice would be to coach the middle school team like you would a TB team. Make it fun AND educational for the girls so they would WANT to play for you if they had a choice. Avoid the temptation to become a dictator simply because the players do not have a choice....

I'm a huge fan of John Wooden, and I've modeled my style and philosophy after his. My rec girls always have fun, and they always improve over the season. I learned a long time ago that telling isn't teaching lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06