Breaking in a Catcher's Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2014
I have heard using shaving cream is a good way to break in a new catcher's mitt. I have been told using oil is not a good option because it's makes the mitt heavier (makes sense to me since oil is heavy). Also, overnight, would you suggest using (2) 12" balls in the mitt before wrapping it up or just 1 ball.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Didn't need it for the fastpitch mitt, but we finally had to steam the baseball mitt early this year. We were able to do it ourselves with a pot of boiling water, a bread rack (with the mitt on top, and a towel over the top. Steam for minutes at a time. Wipe away excessive water. Pound the hinges and pocket with a weighted training ball. Once completely dry, coat with glove conditioner.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Shaving cream is a method to apply lanolin, but is full of other stuff that's less desirable. AFAIK, all the commercial glove conditioners contain small amounts of lanolin and are a much better delivery system.

Dec 19, 2012
You break in a mitt or glove by using it and/or hitting it with a mallet. You condition a glove with a protectant. I use pure lanolin (sparingly) as a conditioner for all gloves/mitts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01