Book keeping on error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've got a friend who always keeps the scorebook for whatever team his daughter plays on. He's fair and knowledgeable.

On the most recent team, the head coach's daughter is just ... terrible. Nice kid, but can't hit a lick. Was hitting about .159 deep into the summer.

So in one game around June, she's safe on a ball to the infield. Head coach says, ''That's a hit, right?" My friend says, ''Error.'' Coach says, ''Boy, you're pretty tough.''

A few days later, the scorekeeper discovers that the head coach has gone into GameChanger and changed it to a hit.

Scorekeeper doesn't like open conflict, so instead of changing it back, he remembers another at-bat weeks before where he gave the girl a hit when it could've been an error. He goes back and changes THAT one to an error. :) So the head coach gets his hit, but her batting stays the same. Unfortunately, there is no film of the coach's puzzlement upon seeing that somehow her batting average is back to where it was.

These are the kinds of stories that will be in the movie, "Travel Ball.'' We should collect them.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
CB's story is sad on a couple levels. Its coaches that that, that give dads who coach the bad name of "daddy ball"!
We have a few guys just like that around here too...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Separate question: hard hit ground ball to RF, player bobbles it and throws to first base, safe by a fraction of a second. You give the RF an error, correct?

This is a very complex question. More info is needed. Whose parent is doing the scoring? The pitcher's, the RF's or the batter's?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I really never understand trying to inflate stats. It does no good for anyone. My DD has had years where she batted .170 and years where she hit .300. The years she struggled, we worked hard to figure out what was going on...not cook the book!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06