Book keeping on error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Separate question: hard hit ground ball to RF, player bobbles it and throws to first base, safe by a fraction of a second. You give the RF an error, correct?

Depends on effort required. If it's a hard-charging, do-or-die play, then probably a hit.

But if it's simply a question of whether an outfielder can be charged with an error on a force play or play at 1B, then yes. Balls that breach the infield aren't automatically hits, as some believe.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Depends on effort required. If it's a hard-charging, do-or-die play, then probably a hit.

But if it's simply a question of whether an outfielder can be charged with an error on a force play or play at 1B, then yes. Balls that breach the infield aren't automatically hits, as some believe.

Absolutely! I expect my RF to make that play. Often put a middle infield out there for that reason when I have pitcher throwing heat and the hitters are behind the ball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Separate question: hard hit ground ball to RF, player bobbles it and throws to first base, safe by a fraction of a second. You give the RF an error, correct?

If it would have been a clear out if she hadn't bobbled it, yes. (14.2.9/14.21.1). Outfielders aren't excused from making fielding errors :)

Feb 7, 2013
If it would have been a clear out if she hadn't bobbled it, yes. (14.2.9/14.21.1). Outfielders aren't excused from making fielding errors :)

Got it. Too bad there isn't a way to put an asterisk next to play like that where an error is recorded. For example, to use the OP, runners on 2nd and 3rd but instead only 1 out. The batter does everything she is asked to do, hits the ball to the right side, a hard grounder that gets to the outfield, advancing the runner home and the runner from 2B to 3B but doesn't get an RBI or hit for her effort. In the scorebook, she gets a ROE but that is a quality at-bat with runners in scoring position.

Mar 26, 2013
Got it. Too bad there isn't a way to put an asterisk next to play like that where an error is recorded. For example, to use the OP, runners on 2nd and 3rd but instead only 1 out. The batter does everything she is asked to do, hits the ball to the right side, a hard grounder that gets to the outfield, advancing the runner home and the runner from 2B to 3B but doesn't get an RBI or hit for her effort. In the scorebook, she gets a ROE but that is a quality at-bat with runners in scoring position.
She would get an rbi if the runner would have scored anyway without the error. She didn't get an rbi in OP's case because no runs would have scored without the error.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

You can get an RBI on a play that is scored an error if the scorekeeper believes the run would've scored without the error.

For example, runner on third, no outs. Batter hits deep fly ball that CF drops. That would be scored E-8, Sac fly, RBI, if the scorekeeper believes the runner would've tagged and scored had the ball been caught.

Sep 15, 2011
I had a Dad ask me to change a single to a double for a shot his DD hit to center field. The ball was hit directly to the center fielder, bounced twice and went right between her legs.

I recorded it as a single and then moved her to second on a fielding error. I guess I am mean like that.

Rob.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06