Blame game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I coach tb, but on more of an A/B level... I will never single a kid out for a negative. That is a private conversation with her and her parents. However, I will completely call her out in a crowd to praise her.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
After a particularly tough loss where a dropped fly ball allowed the game winning run to score, some of the players were saying that the outfielder "lost the game" for them. I sat the girls down and explained that each and every one of the girls could very easily find one thing they could have done differently to change the outcome of the game. Had one player got a hit instead of getting out. Had another fielded a ball cleanly and got the base runner out at first. Had the pitcher not walked the lead off batter. Had the catcher not had a passed ball.

Each and every player each and every game has at least one thing they could have done better. Unfortunately the outfielder's was the most obvious.

After that game it became part of my post game meeting. I asked each girl to name one thing they could have done better or differently. Once they had gone through the process a few times the blame game went away and they realized that we win as a team and lose as a team.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Blaming a player for one mistake costing a team a game makes little sense. One could also say that the team should have played such good defense and offense that the opponent never had a chance to allow on mistake be the determining factor. Sounds to me like your coach is not that A or Elite level the team lays claim to.

Mar 31, 2011
A coach calls themselfes out.

If I had not sent you to steal second, if I had not called for that change up. If I would have not called that bunt, of forced you to take third when it was not there, or shifted the outfield left. I am sure if you think about it everyone made some mistakes that costs us the game. Figure out what you did wrong or not your best and We will work to fix them and get them next game.

A good coach teaches self improvement.

Well if every batter had got a hit every time at bat and the pitcher stuck out every batter then you would have won...otherwise I think it is a team game an one person or one play is never to blame.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We coaches should blame ourselves for not properly coaching. We should physically and mentally prepare our team for all game situations, even some off the field. Will we teach them everything? No. But we as leaders should teach them leadership skills and decision making abilities to know how to react. If an individual on the team failed to perform it will result in a one on one talk not team talk. If it a skill we failed to teach them, well we work on it but never with no blame but on the player.

Aug 29, 2012
I had a similar experience as Goobie. Last year during a JH game we were winning by 2 with 2 out bottom of the 7th when our left fielder miss played a ball with 2 runners on. It rolled to the outfield corner and the we lost the game. The girl was devastated. After the game, I tried to explain to the team how every play is important, not just which play is the last one. We had a lot of missed opportunities earlier in the game (not getting bunts down, throwing behind the runners, etc). And, let them know that it was my fault for not preparing them better for those situations. I then took the my LF aside gave her a smile and a hug and let her know that she still had my confidence. The kid worked her tail off the rest of the year, as well as the rest of team. It ended up beind a turning point in our season as we won 6 out of our last 7 games. It's funny how when things go wrong, it can bring a team together and be stronger because of it.

May 17, 2012
Softball is a team game and we win or lose as a team.....

I would argue that softball (and baseball) is not actually a team game and that one player could indeed lose you a game. I do agree that I would never call someone out on having a bad game. I would be more concerned with what I could have done (or do) to make that player more successful the next time they are in that situation.

Aug 7, 2012
My DD's old AC coach did this frequently. You need to walk away. It is very destructive and may cause self confidence issues in the young ladies. The ironic thing is that most errors during a game were usually made by him, he was a 3rd base coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA