BH lesson tonight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2009
DD had her first lesson with Hillhouse in quite a while. Those that know him know BH is absolutely hilarious with the girls, makes them have fun, and does teaching in a way the girls learn while having a great time doing it. Over the years, I've seen his lessons with 10-20 girls who have come in before or after my DD and his rapport with them is amazing to see. Tonight, I filmed the lesson as I always do. But this is what happened: DD was having an awful practice. Balls were thrown everywhere, timing was out of whack, etc. After 15 minutes of pitching my DD was almost in tears because she adores her lessons with Bill and wants to do well for him. After the 15 mins, he called time out and told her to get a drink. She had a disgusted look on her face and was somewhere in the middle between tears and anger. Here was the conversation during the drink break:

BH: Relax, it's only 15 minutes of practice. Life is too short to worry about 15 minutes. Life is short, don't you think? Do you think life is short? What constitutes a short life anyway? I'm 43 and it seems long to me.

DD shrugs.

BH. Have you ever been stung by a porcupine? How do you suppose a porcupine stings someone, everyone knows to avoid them, so how do you suppose they use their stingers? Are you angry that Caitlyn Jenner didn't win Time Magazine's person of the year? I am. Do you think if Trump is elected he'll abolish foreign languages in high school classrooms?

DD is now completely perplexed and sort of stammering between questions.

BH: What if there is no dark side of the moon? What if the moon is only 1/2 of what we think it is? Why do you think dog farts smell worse than people farts?

DD: cause of what they eat??

BH: Oh, so by that thinking if my dog ate the same things as me, our farts would be the same?

DD is baffled and cocks her head sideways like he is insane.

BH. What about aliens on other planets, do you think their out there? I don't. Obama would've given them foreign aid by now if there was.

At this point, I'm almost in tears laughing at both the random questions and DD's facial expressions and trying to figure out what, why, and how these things are coming out of his mouth.

BH. Do you think Tony Soprano died in the series finale? What about the Hell's Angels, are they just motorcycle enthusiasts or is there more to it? I'm thinking about joining, that's why I asked. It probably wouldn't work out, I don't have patients to grow long hair. I have to cut it.

DD finally says, what are you talking about? What is with all these questions?

BH: Did you forget about the last 15 minutes of your pitching?

DD: Yes. Very much!

BH: Good, pitchers need a short memory. Forget the last pitch you threw and concentrate on the next one. There is nothing you can do about a bad pitch or a bad inning except improve the next one. Same goes for a good pitch. Once you throw it, its over. Concentrate on the next one.

She was 100% different for the remainder of the lesson. The lesson was learned. And that lesson clicked for her with that 2 minute conversation. She couldn't stop talking about the entire lesson on the way home.

(BH, if you're reading this she is going to watch the video and write down answers to every one of those questions you asked that puzzled her tonight!)

CG

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
For clarification... my dogs rear is just foul, regardless of what he eats. It's so bad... that it's identifiable... and I can't even use him as an out for my own. Speaking of Trump... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball