Better doing Drills then Full Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably was a mistake but DD has been doing a lot of various drills and not too much full motion pitching. Right now she throws noticeably harder and more accurate doing her drills then pitching full motion.

For example she stands facing 3rd with both her hands pointed towards home plate, feet slightly apart takes a step and throws the ball. Better pitcher doing this then her full motion.

She is a leap and drag pitcher, of course have a drill for this too which she does good on. She has always had trouble with her footwork, seems like an afterthought and something she needs to think about opposed to something that happens or helps her throwing.

It seems like her lower body is fighting her upper body when she does a full motion pitch.

I know it is hard without any videos but any thoughts would be appreciated.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Sounds like a timing issue

Probably was a mistake but DD has been doing a lot of various drills and not too much full motion pitching. Right now she throws noticeably harder and more accurate doing her drills then pitching full motion.

For example she stands facing 3rd with both her hands pointed towards home plate, feet slightly apart takes a step and throws the ball. Better pitcher doing this then her full motion.

She is a leap and drag pitcher, of course have a drill for this too which she does good on. She has always had trouble with her footwork, seems like an afterthought and something she needs to think about opposed to something that happens or helps her throwing.

It seems like her lower body is fighting her upper body when she does a full motion pitch.

I know it is hard without any videos but any thoughts would be appreciated.

First thought; you have a timing issue here.

The ball must be at around 1:00 to 1:30 (just into the downswing) at the exact moment of Landing Foot Touchdown for starters.

Hal

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Hard to get the timing right if you aren't throwing pitches. Might be as simple as drill less, pitch more.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hard to get the timing right if you aren't throwing pitches. Might be as simple as drill less, pitch more.

Hopefully, less drills more pitching is the plan.

Right now anyways having a batter in the box is not the Issue, she is just slower with her full motion.

May 22, 2011
i have had this issue with severaly of my young pitchers, someone on this forum had said to emphasize that the entire pitching motion was in to two phases, not three, up together and down together, that has helped several of my players.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
From my golf days there is a “trigger” that starts the motion, it changes player by player maybe week to week.

What different triggers do players use to start their pitch or does this not apply to pitching?

DD is going to pitch tonight and I am willing to bet money her push off the plate starts her forward motion and her arm never catches up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32