Best way to transport a composite bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I have flown many times to tournys and take 3-4 bats every time...never had an issue but if you
are worried about it, just ship it in advance.

And again, temps dont matter

Jul 10, 2013
Did Olatherdad just steal my thunder ? Did he mean one of those shipping companies that specialize in shipping and let you insure your package like UPS or FEDX

Thanks for the repeat

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Almost all USA commercial flights have pressurized luggage holds same as the cabin as the cabin floor is not a bulkhead, however the general hold is generally not heated. This means the cargo hold doesn't get to cabin temp, but it is also not going below about 44 degrees F. The 'bulk' area where for example pets are put is heated to around 70 degrees. Wrap the bat up in clothes in a suitcase to insulate it a bit and you are not going to have any issues.

Pretty easy to confirm this - when you pick you bag off the luggage carousel it is already at room temp which would not be the case if it got to outside temps in the luggage hold.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Where in Ca are you playing? My suggestion is to have it shipped to your hotel via Fed Ex or UPS. IF local to me, you can have it shipped here to my warehouse and I will ship it back to your location when you leave.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Where in Ca are you playing? My suggestion is to have it shipped to your hotel via Fed Ex or UPS. IF local to me, you can have it shipped here to my warehouse and I will ship it back to your location when you leave.

Thanks Mike. We are headed to the PFG Early Thanksgiving Showcase in Huntington Beach. Is that near you?

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Did Olatherdad just steal my thunder ? Did he mean one of those shipping companies that specialize in shipping and let you insure your package like UPS or FEDX

Thanks for the repeat

No, There are companies that specialize in packaging and shipping luggage, golf clubs and sports equipment. It may go out via FedEx or UPS, but their prices are usually cheaper and arrange delivery to your hotel when you are expected to arrive.

May 23, 2015
I travelled for years on planes with aluminum and composite bats. Never even gave it a second thought. I made a tube out of PVC {scared the sheet out of everyone the month following 9/11 } Wrapped them in old towels. Catchers always need towels on the field anyway. Bats get shipped via UPS and FedEx overnight all the time. No worries

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse