batting tee drills needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2012
hey coaches! looking for some drills to help girls keep their hands through the hitting zone instead of rolling wrists out of zone and pulling everything

Oct 19, 2009
IMO I see some kids that pull the ball too often have a tendency to have hands ahead of the hips. I like what Alabama calls the long tee. It sets the tee in a batting cage or an open field where a hitter can see the results of the swing and how the ball comes off the bat. Working on a tee drill sometimes takes time to show up in a game swing, but with enough reps it will.

Don’t just do the drill with the ball in the middle of the plate all the time, but move it around from left to right and top to bottom.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Set tee on back of the plate on the outside corner. Attack opposite field. Learn to hit 'out' from your body not 'around' your body.
25u2xp5.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Good suggestions above. If you have an Insider Bat laying around...that actually really helps with rolling the wrists too early. Yep, I went there LOL.

Jun 18, 2010
hey coaches! looking for some drills to help girls keep their hands through the hitting zone instead of rolling wrists out of zone and pulling everything
Check out the insider bat (Kinda pricey for a metal tube with a flat spot, but it works). When we have this problem, I break out the insider bat with some jugs lite flites. You will get instant feedback if they are hitting the ball with the correct hand position.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If we're gonna plug some products... the pro hammer bat serves the same purpose as the insider except it can be used on real balls!
As far as tee drills go, be creative and set the tee up in many different heights and plate positions. Do five reps with just the final contact, ensuring the contact is out front with the hands higher than the ball and then do five reverse hand full swings then five more regular swings at the same position. Then repeat these steps at a different position. Try to get about 150 cuts per lesson. And the reverse top hand drill is absolutely a must. Have the kids do 30 dry cuts of this as part of their batting warm.

Oct 19, 2009
If we're gonna plug some products... the pro hammer bat serves the same purpose as the insider except it can be used on real balls!
As far as tee drills go, be creative and set the tee up in many different heights and plate positions. Do five reps with just the final contact, ensuring the contact is out front with the hands higher than the ball and then do five reverse hand full swings then five more regular swings at the same position. Then repeat these steps at a different position. Try to get about 150 cuts per lesson. And the reverse top hand drill is absolutely a must. Have the kids do 30 dry cuts of this as part of their batting warm.

Question, we use a wood bat with a thin barrel like a fungo bat, but not a fungo for front toss. I purchased them a few years ago in different lengths.

What advantage does the Hammer Bat give over the bat described above?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207