Batting Instructor Killing my Batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
So what is a player and parent to do? You have a Head Coach who wants his players to have a level swing and you have a hitting instructor teaching bug squishing and an upper cut swing. My suggestion would be to have an open mind about what you think a good swing is and spend some time watching the model swings videos and see if these are the type of swing mechanics you are teaching? If not, you have some education to do. I have a gut feeling that the MLB teaching may be the lesser of two evils here?

Aug 5, 2012
Ok, ok.... Level swing, poor choice of words. While I might not know every tiny detail that the resident gurus do (several whom I respect on these boards), I do understand the basics of the swing and what we're looking for. My point was that at the point of contact the top of the barrel can't be pointed to the ground every single swing.

I will talk to the parents and express my concern and I will adjust the bo as the season starts if it makes sense.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
So what is a player and parent to do?

Study the basics of hitting. Look at swing planes. Study grip. Learn to hit yourself. Make certain what you were taught 30 years ago, is still up to date. I like the Candrea videos on You Tube, myself.

Aug 5, 2012
I feel very confident in my approach to the swing. If a pitch is right down the middle, at the point of contact the bat will be level more or less. The one batter I spoke of only knows an extreme uppercut now. But that's all I meant.

I've studied the swing between the boards and my dd's batting instructor. When I attended the Be the Best You Can Be seminar, after hearing several d1 coaches and Jessica Mendoza break down the swing, I felt very confident that I coach the correct and current methods. But if you have a really good BI, they can pick out things quicker and more minor (like FFS).

Thanks for the responses. I like the suggestion of a quiet conversation expressing concern and the resulting spot in the BO as a good way of handling this situation.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I feel very confident in my approach to the swing. If a pitch is right down the middle, at the point of contact the bat will be level more or less. The one batter I spoke of only knows an extreme uppercut now. But that's all I meant.

I've studied the swing between the boards and my dd's batting instructor. When I attended the Be the Best You Can Be seminar, after hearing several d1 coaches and Jessica Mendoza break down the swing, I felt very confident that I coach the correct and current methods. But if you have a really good BI, they can pick out things quicker and more minor (like FFS).

Thanks for the responses. I like the suggestion of a quiet conversation expressing concern and the resulting spot in the BO as a good way of handling this situation.

Fielder3.gif
Fielder3.gif
Fielder2.gif

Low,middle and high pitch. If that is your approach to the swing, then you are good to go.

Nov 23, 2012
Post the teams hitting stats and bat them according to there stats.
Alot of parents drink the Kool Aid when it comes to Hitting & Pitching Instructors.
Results are all that matter.

Jan 25, 2011
My point was that at the point of contact the top of the barrel can't be pointed to the ground every single swing.
I will talk to the parents and express my concern and I will adjust the bo as the season starts if it makes sense.

Well for the most part the bat angle and tilt of the batter will have the top of the barrel angled some + or - to degree towards the ground. Not trying to nit pick, but I have to understand what you know about the swing to some degree.

Jan 25, 2011
Fielder3.gif
Fielder3.gif
Fielder2.gif

Low,middle and high pitch. If that is your approach to the swing, then you are good to go.
but that is not what the OP is saying, so he is not good, every one of those swings at contact the barrel of the bat is angled down. A pitch right down the middle to be in the OP's words is level, I would agree with that only if the hitter was to drop their hands and elbows.

Jan 25, 2011
Yep RD, that's exactly right.

And I agree Freak.
but you keep talking about a level swing, what is level. If you look at the bat in the 3 gifs. at contact the barrel is at an angle. I just think that if you are going to go to these parents and tell them about batting, than you need a better understanding, yourself or better choice of words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g