Batting Instructor Killing my Batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
I have a preferred batting instructor in our area. My girls that go to him have really good mechanics and they've really improved since first joining the team in August. Some of the parents have decided to go elsewhere with a former MLB pitcher (wasn't very good) and a woman who was supposed to be a great player in her time, except I can't find anyone who has heard of her. The reason for going to them instead is because they're cheaper.

I guess you get what you pay for because this guy is royally screwing up their swings to the point where they're just ugly. He has one of my girls sitting really low, loading all her weight back, squishing the bug, and she has no idea what a level swing is anymore because everything looks like a 9 iron swing. When she first started going to him, her dad thought this guy is going to make her some hitter and he asked me not to interfere with her training. I told him I would agree if I saw improvement.

I'm seriously considering telling my patents that this guy is totally banned from working with any of my players. I have no idea how this will fly or if i can really do that. Any suggestions?

Jan 25, 2011
I have to ask one question from you, not that I agree with what this HC does, but what does a level swing, mean to you?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Jersey Ball, where they hit in your order (or if they are on the bench even) will tell your parents more about thier DDs swing than you will by "banning" the instructor. But you can have a quiet word with the parents that you've noticed she seems to be going in the wrong direction with her swing mechanics since she started with the new instructor.

Jan 24, 2011
Jersey Ball, where they hit in your order (or if they are on the bench even) will tell your parents more about thier DDs swing than you will by "banning" the instructor. But you can have a quiet word with the parents that you've noticed she seems to be going in the wrong direction with her swing mechanics since she started with the new instructor.

I tried this approach with a local PC. But , the parents/kid had a long standing relationship with him and even after their DD was being passed up by other pitchers , they refused to switch. I even downloaded all of the Hillhouse clinic videos from You Tube and edited them together for them. They still haven't looked at them

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If progress is actually regression then clear a spot on the bench for her. When her parents ask why, explain that ever since she started attending the new batting coach.....

Oct 22, 2009
PA

Exactly! If they are really as bad as you say they are, their lack of success at the plate and their subsequent place in the line-up/bench will get the message across better than banning the instructor. They are paying for the results they are seeing, let the buyer beware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516