batter standing way in front of the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Most batters are told to stand in the front of the box not to take away movement, but because the pitcher is throwing much slower than they are used to.

Personally, when I'm coaching weaker hitting teams, I prefer to use a slash-hit for the kids (show bunt, slowly pull back when the ball is in the air, then hit) that are having a hard time timing the slow pitches and are way ahead of the ball.

-W

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Why we teach a drill called the Barry Bonds Drill to all our students. You keep taking one step forward in the cage till you no longer can hit the ball then you start taking one step backwards. Those that stand in one place only hurt themself in terms of timing . One thing I do see with kids that stand in the top of the box to hit a slow pitcher they don't have good timing when hitting. Most of these kids also pull the ball or get their weight out on the front foot .

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, the BB drill is good if you do it right. Last team I guest coached only did the drill in one direction, getting faster/closer. They did great against fast pitching but couldn't hit the slow stuff. Batters need to practice how they are going to play, and there is always that team that has the slow pitcher that knocks out some of the best competition.

-W

Mar 26, 2013
And just how much movement to your pitchers have? If you have a righty pitcher pitching to a righty hitter, I'd love to see video of the ball being outside and then coming in to cross the plate. There is no way that the ball will be outside of the batter's strike zone and cross the corner of the plate. It's physically impossible.
First off, I never said it was outside the batter's strike zone. Second, even that is fairly easy for a RHP to do with a backdoor curve. Granted it is very difficult for a RHP to do that with a backdoor screw, but it is not impossible. Third, even if the screw catches the outside edge of the batter's strike zone, it is more difficult for the batter to recognize it will be a strike in time to swing at it because the initial read is it will be outside.

The point of my post is backdoor pitches are harder to hit from the front of the box than front door pitches.

Jan 6, 2013
That is the opposing coach's way of complimenting your DD for her movement. My DD throws a mean peel drop. In July, at ASA Eastern A Nationals, there was a team that basically stood on the front chalk and uppercut DD's peel drop rendering it useless. That was 12U. If the great teams are doing it in 12U, all teams will be doing it by 16U. Have her vary speeds more and pitch to have the ball hit to the most effective fielders on her team.

Sep 10, 2013
That is the opposing coach's way of complimenting your DD for her movement. My DD throws a mean peel drop. In July, at ASA Eastern A Nationals, there was a team that basically stood on the front chalk and uppercut DD's peel drop rendering it useless. That was 12U. If the great teams are doing it in 12U, all teams will be doing it by 16U. Have her vary speeds more and pitch to have the ball hit to the most effective fielders on her team.

thanks. besides speed change, DD is going to work on improving her low-rise ball and high-drop ball. it's going to look like a ball, but come in as a strike. just to add more options to her arsenal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell