Batter interference rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
Daughter plays middle school ball played by high school rules in SC. Runner on 3rd , ball gets by the catcher the batter trys to get out of the way and gets out of the batters box half way towards the on deck circle. To make a long story short the batter is hit by the thrown ball from the catcher to the plate trying to make a play. What is the ruling? You can't make the batter run completely off the field. The umpire called the batter out and sent the runner back to third is this correct.

A little side note. What is the ruling on a base coach getting out of the way. I coach third alot and not quite sure what the ruling is on that. I try to be sportsman like and get out of the way but sometimes these kids take funny angles at the ball and almost run you over.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Daughter plays middle school ball played by high school rules in SC. Runner on 3rd , ball gets by the catcher the batter trys to get out of the way and gets out of the batters box half way towards the on deck circle. To make a long story short the batter is hit by the thrown ball from the catcher to the plate trying to make a play. What is the ruling? You can't make the batter run completely off the field. The umpire called the batter out and sent the runner back to third is this correct.

It is the batter's responsibility to not interfere with the play. If the throw was a play which could have retired the runner, it is INT, the batter is out and the runner returned to third.

A little side note. What is the ruling on a base coach getting out of the way. I coach third alot and not quite sure what the ruling is on that. I try to be sportsman like and get out of the way but sometimes these kids take funny angles at the ball and almost run you over.

You cannot interfere with the defenses ability to make a play. The coach's box is not a sanctuary and the coach must give way to the defense attempting to make a play.

If the coach is hit with a ball while in the CB and the umpire determines the coach did not intentionally interfere with the play, it is nothing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If the batter leaves the batter's box, then she needs to be out of the way of any fielders.

As for coaching third, it doesn't matter if your contact was accidental or whether you made a good-faith effort to get out of the way.

Umpires can't read people's mind, so the only way to make an objective rule on this is to say that you need to get out of the way.

Mar 1, 2013
In this situation, everyone needs to be aware of the play that's occurring. By everyone, I mean the defense, the batter, the on-deck batter, the base coaches, and especially the umpires. That's a good idea in any situation (of course - I'm not telling you anything you don't know).

If there may be a play at the plate, the batter certainly needs to clear the space for the defense to attempt that play. The best place for her to go is someplace where she won't be between the ball and the play being made (perhaps the first base side). If she's hit by the thrown ball while the defense is attempting a play on the runner, she's out, just like the OP described with the runners returning (so, yes, the umpire called it correctly).

Don't think it's open season on the batter, though. If I judge that a fielder intentionally threw the ball at the batter hoping to get the free out and send the runner back, that fielder will require a substitute.

ETA: Sorry if I'm coming off as a smart-rear know it all. Just trying to answer the question as best as I can.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
As a base coach I make sure ball isn't coming at me first, then I find the fielder and move the opposite direction as them. Over throws from one fielder to another are more difficult to manage, especially if you are watching the runner silde/dive into your base. I try to avoid as best as possible with some moves I saw in the Matrix, as well as flopping to the ground. I do try to limit the flopping, but sometimes I am not as agile I want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan