Bat Wrap and other things

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD continues to sit the bat on her shoulder when she swings (the attached video is from last fall but it shows the issue). in this swing the bat looks too heavy but she has improved a great deal since then. I'll try to get a current video to post for critique but for now I'm just looking at the bat position. I think she should be getting her bat up tall with the knob pointing slightly back toward catcher in her negative move - I need to be able to explain how/why this would be better (ie batspeed, etc) thanks!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I would focus on working the barrel in the sagittal plane. Once she learns how to create stretch in the s-plane she won't need momentum to create power. The key is that the arms/bat work with the body to create the whip.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Your daughter's bat set up is parallel to the ground...Try this set up. Bat angle across front of ear.
This tall or even a little taller

SL

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
TDS-thanks -that makes sense and she can't go wrong emulating Alex H!
SL-thats what I'm shooting for. don't know why she has gravitated toward this swing-the-bat-from-the-shoulder mechanic, but she is hitting well. I'm thinking she'd be hitting better if she was doing it right :D.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
0WXAZY.gif

May 4, 2012
TDS-thanks -that makes sense and she can't go wrong emulating Alex H!
SL-thats what I'm shooting for. don't know why she has gravitated toward this swing-the-bat-from-the-shoulder mechanic, but she is hitting well. I'm thinking she'd be hitting better if she was doing it right :D.

Mind explaining to me what tds said since you understand him? I do know what the Sagittal plane is

Jul 19, 2012
The sagital plane is a plane created by splitting the body in half with a right and a left section.

A transverse plane would be a plane cutting the body into an upper and lower half.

A coronal plane would be a plane splitting the body into front and back halves.

Remember these planes are like an invisible sheet of glass dividing the body as explained above. These continue into infinity as they pass through the body.

Sorry, but I am a medical anatomical orientation nazi

May 4, 2012
Thanks like I said I understand the plane orientations. Per tds - she needs to work the barrel within and learn to stretch in the Sagittal plane. Here is a guy swinging a kettle ball in the sagital plane https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lZwvb5jN0. I can see floating the barrel upward in a sagital plane. I could also entertain leaning toward home plat to tip a barrel towrd the plate and leaning back to tip away from plate, one could also flex/extend the hips or bend the knees all w/in the sagital plane. But what is tds talking about specifically? Original poster said he understood and since I haven't been able to understand the message tds is trying to convey I thought I'd ask him for his take

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Honestly, I don't understand how to apply references to "Sagittal plane" because the bat path is on the transverse plane, but I understand the .gifs and how the muscles are working and how that relates to the swing,
The key is that the arms/bat work with the body to create the whip.
she is reaching out, not staying compact/exploding into contact. also it seems to me that the bat head starts moving late. her body is moving but the bat is still and then playing catch up to the ball as opposed to whipping into it with contact occurring at the point of maximium batspeed/energy transfer.

I gotta get a current video to post...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors