Basic pitching checkpoints

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Knightsb

Thanks for the awesome thread. Really nice to have such an easy-to-understand guide.

Jun 18, 2010
Great thread knightsb!

Cat is a tremendous pitcher but she does at least two unorthodox things in real time that should be noted if you are going to use her as the poster child for pitching checkpoints.

- her pivot foot leaps (gets off the ground) from the pitching plate, to about 1.5 feet in front of the plate, and then she drags the pivot foot the rest of the way. Not ideal and illegal.

RT1, I agree Cat is illegal with her drive foot.

I am not suggesting Cat is the best overall pitching model, I am still trying to decide who I think has the VERY BEST overall pitching mechanics (I'll start a new thread on that topic). One reason I used Cat in this thread was the availability of video from the side and front. I am working on part 2 with video from the front. Abbott is a favorite of mine, but every video I find of her, she is illegal with a skip step.

- she looks down twice during her pitch. Once when she does her windup and again during her stride. I have never seen another pitcher do this. Works for her but not recommended for most pitchers.

Cheridian Hawkins also does this. There are 48 frames in this GIF I made of CH. At frame 26 she looks down (during her delivery) and at frame 45 looks back at her target, after the ball has been released.

ch1_zpsa2q6crcn.gif

ch_down_zps819d6f1d.jpg

Where is Abbott looking here?

abbott_release_zps109eb535.jpg

I have noticed many pitchers look down during their pre-motion, and a few that look down again some point during the delivery.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
From an idiot's perspective, I think "balanced finish" in 11.1 can mean several things, particularly when multiple pieces are still very much in motion. I think I can spot the other points you're looking for if I roll video back and forth, but not sure that I'm going to see that one.

All in all, this is really well done, and will fill a void for many frustrated parents.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Great thread knightsb!

Cat is a tremendous pitcher but she does at least two unorthodox things in real time that should be noted if you are going to use her as the poster child for pitching checkpoints.

- her pivot foot leaps (gets off the ground) from the pitching plate, to about 1.5 feet in front of the plate, and then she drags the pivot foot the rest of the way. Not ideal and illegal.
- she looks down twice during her pitch. Once when she does her windup and again during her stride. I have never seen another pitcher do this. Works for her but not recommended for most pitchers.

Remember this all of the Pitchers that play internationally can let there drive foot leave the ground it is only illegal under U.S standards and I believe very soon it will not be illegal here either because it truly gives no mechanical advantage. U know this will start a flame war but it has been tested time and time again there is no advantage...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I believe that Osterman is cocking, or loading her lower end going into plant. Many good pitchers do this to varying degrees. Cat reminds me of a skippy without the obvious replant. A favorite of mine is Ueno. Watch her front foot and hips in slow motion. She utilizes her whole body as well as any.

Oct 22, 2009
Ueno is also a favorite of mine, I like watching those "average" sized pitchers utilizing every bit of their body to get the job done.

98% of my students fall in the average to below average range in terms of height. Short girls love to pitch!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom