Baserunner causing Interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
High School game-
runner on 2B, no force. batted ball deflected by P is played by 2B who is unable to make the play at 1B. While the play was unfolding, the existing baserunner was watching this and started for 3B where she collided with the SS, standing in the basepath. baserunner was called out for Interference. I don't think anyone fell down but they definitely collided.

in my (recently purchased)2016 NFHS rulebook, Section 3-32-1 says " interference is an act... by a member of the team at bat who illegally impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder; or when runner creates malicious contact with any fielder with or without the ball, in or out of the baseline"

so I understand the first part, its the "runner creating malicious contact" part that I need clarification on. it would seem to me that accidental contact would not constitute "malicious contact" and that MC would be necessary for the interference call.

therefore it seemed more in line with the definition of obstruction (3-36).

am I interpreting the rule correctly?

Jun 22, 2008
The definition of malicious contact in the book is simply contact with excessive force. Generally speaking, when malicious contact is ruled it usually involves some type of purposeful act by either a runner or fielder. Not having been there to see the play have no idea if the runner could have avoided contact or if it was just one of those deals where neither player really looking at each other and they came together.

As for your question on obstruction, yes, it meets the exact definition of obstruction. The SS was neither in possession of the ball nor in the act of fielding a batted ball so they cannot hinder or impede the progress of the runner. But again, that does not give the runner the right to run over the top of the defender. Without seeing the play in person have no idea the exact circumstances of the play.

Sep 29, 2014
Really odd call unless the umpire saw something out of the ordinary like runner not taking a straight line to the base but veering to contact SS or extending her arm to push or shove the SS otherwise this is a classic case of obstruction.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The baserunner was called out, so this was an "interference" call. However, if the SS was not moving to make a play on the ball, or didn't have a realistic chance to make a play, the call was incorrect.

Based on the description in the OP, it sounds like a clear "obstruction" call, and the runner should be at 3B.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Bretman- According to the MIAA (Mass. Interscholastic Athletic Assoc.) that oversees High School sports, NFHS is the Rulebook

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog