Baseball, Worst Call Ever??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2009
This is what I love about baseball. I am not defending Denkinger. But Americans can talk intelligently and passionately about something that occurred 24 years ago. And there are so many alternative happenings that can be considered in the discussion.

If Denkinger had made the right call and the Cards would have won, would the bad call on White's steal in the earlier inning be the Worst Call Ever (at least for Royal fans)? Because of Denkinger's call, I doubt that none but the most hardy of fans remembers the name of the second base umpire who missed the call (I certainly don't).

OR, if Denkinger had made the right call, would the Royals have won the game anyway? They did follow the call with a single, passed ball by Porter, and a single that scored the runner from second. The inning would still be alive with the winning run on base.

OR, if the call by Denkinger been the right one (if the runner had indeed beaten the throw), would Darrell Porter be viewed by Cardinal fans as their version of Bill Buckner?

AND, since Game 7 was won by KC in a blowout (11-0), can we say that 25 grown men are so immature that they are not expected to be able to function for at least 24 hours if a bad call goes against them? To this question, my wife would say "YES!"

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
This is what I love about baseball. I am not defending Denkinger. But Americans can talk intelligently and passionately about something that occurred 24 years ago. And there are so many alternative happenings that can be considered in the discussion.

If Denkinger had made the right call and the Cards would have won, would the bad call on White's steal in the earlier inning be the Worst Call Ever (at least for Royal fans)? Because of Denkinger's call, I doubt that none but the most hardy of fans remembers the name of the second base umpire who missed the call (I certainly don't).

OR, if Denkinger had made the right call, would the Royals have won the game anyway? They did follow the call with a single, passed ball by Porter, and a single that scored the runner from second. The inning would still be alive with the winning run on base.

OR, if the call by Denkinger been the right one (if the runner had indeed beaten the throw), would Darrell Porter be viewed by Cardinal fans as their version of Bill Buckner?

AND, since Game 7 was won by KC in a blowout (11-0), can we say that 25 grown men are so immature that they are not expected to be able to function for at least 24 hours if a bad call goes against them? To this question, my wife would say "YES!"

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I grew up in St. Louis and I'll be able to talk passionately about that game in another 24 years. I love your questions, and I've heard them all. There are so many "what ifs" surrounding that call and what could have been. Makes for great conversation.

As far as the blowout in game 7, I don't think immaturity had anything to do with it. Keep in mind who was behind the plate in that final game.

(Secretly wishing my kid wore #51 in tribute of Willie McGee) :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand