Baseball vs softball bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I bought my 8 yr old a DeMarini today. It was in the softball section, but the bat says baseball. They actually had a few of them there. We're we just randomly looking at them, and the grip caught my eye, so I had her try it.... and compare it to her Easton. She said it was better and the price was right, so I got it

From what I'm guessing, 8 yr old house league won't matter much if it's soft or hard ball

We use the 11" balls, pitched out of the Louisville blue flame pitch machine, set for 25 mph at 30 foot distance

Sooo, was this a bad idea to get her? Or should it not matter yet?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not think it matters.

If it doesn't have an ASA stamp they can take it out of the game but I have never seen anyone check at that level.

May 16, 2016
I've had players in both 8u and 10u have their baseball bats removed from game, so it does matter, and it is totally dependent on the ump. I would return the baseball bat, and get the softball version. If the ump notices it's a baseball bat, it will be removed. Only question is will the ump notice.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Umpires in our rec league regularly checked bats and helmets, and were quick to pull out any bats or helmets that didn't have the correct makings...even in 8U. I highly recommend getting your young DD a proper softball bat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207