Baseball mitt to catch fastpitch.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
It bugged me that DD insisted on velcro for her A2K but after trying several gloves without it, she just felt more comfortable with it. Not a cheap glove either.
I bought a Mizuno Global Elite 1st base glove to throw with her but wish I would have bought a catcher's mitt for the extra padding.

I wanted to get a custom made A2K catchers mitt for my dd but they did not have a catchers mitt pattern for a left hand thrower. While I was on the website I read about Wilson's Super Skin. It's a leather alternative to make the glove or mitt less heavy. Like nylon, super skin is a cheaper material than leather yet they want you to pay the same price for the glove or mitt. Anyway, besides no velcro, I do not want nylon or other leather alternatives on my gloves or mitts. Again, JMO.

Oct 10, 2011
I wanted to get a custom made A2K catchers mitt for my dd but they did not have a catchers mitt pattern for a left hand thrower. While I was on the website I read about Wilson's Super Skin. It's a leather alternative to make the glove or mitt less heavy. Like nylon, super skin is a cheaper material than leather yet they want you to pay the same price for the glove or mitt. Anyway, besides no velcro, I do not want nylon or other leather alternatives on my gloves or mitts. Again, JMO.
She ended up with an all leather A2K for 3rd and a Vinci 34" for catching (both with Velcro) but she's happy and that's what matters. She didn't like the Superskin because of the way it looks...go figure.

Jan 24, 2009
She ended up with an all leather A2K for 3rd and a Vinci 34" for catching (both with Velcro) but she's happy and that's what matters. She didn't like the Superskin because of the way it looks...go figure.

Really really nice products overall, and I definitely understand that some people like the velcro strap. It's just not my bag.

Jan 24, 2009

Have to agree here too.

Jan 24, 2009
Since a Nokona brand was used as an example earlier in this thread, I'll use Nokona as an example. I searched the brand on justballgloves.com.

First I narrowed the search to the 'baseball' tab and then to the 'Nokona' brand and found:

Nokona baseball gloves: 49
# with velcro: 1 (one)
*of note is that the '1' with velcro is described as a baseball/softball pattern.

Nokona fastpitch gloves: 22
# with velcro: 18
* of the four gloves without velcro, 3 are listed as baseball/softball and there is one...

ONE Nokona 'fastpitch series' glove without velcro. I might add that the one lonely glove is a damn fine looking open back specimen, if not a tad small perhaps (11.75"). Gotta say that I LOVE it! BKF-1175 if you are curious.

Draw your own inferences from the numbers. I am only using them here to illustrate the reason for this thread and it's title. It is very hard to find a fastpitch glove/mitt without velcro. Even rarer is the fastpitch catcher's mitt without 'cro, and since velcro is not to my liking, I'm looking for a suitable solution outside of the 'fastpitch catcher's mitt' realm.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
My son has a 34" Mizuno baseball catchers mitt which has a huge pocket. I use it to catch my daughter (a U14/16 catcher). Not sure how well it would work catching from a pitcher, but it works for me. But I'm evidently a pansy and she has a gun. :)

Jan 24, 2009
vdub, any luck in your search for a velcro-less glove?

I borrowed my 14yo son's catcher's mitt for a few sessions (Vinci 33.5") but it is clearly a better fit for baseball-sized balls.

There is also a good SSK in the house. It is a 33.5" fastpitch mitt with leather instead of velcro. I had forgotten about it--another DD who no longer plays used it. It would be great if DD and I were 11-14 yo.

Still looking, but have these as stopgaps for now.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd had the SSK MP (Medal Pro)-44. It was a great mitt that lasted 4 years. The palm padding eventually compressed to nothing. I took it apart to check out the mitt's construction, then discarded it. I should have kept it and added palm padding. Oh well, live and learn.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hey vdubya, heres a thought. Contact Casedawg or Chaz or Vinci directly to see if they will make you a custom mitt. My
DD's Vinci is a custom. It's a 12" tan kip frame that doesn't even have a model#. And guess what else.....no velcro !
It's worth a try, You could get them to combine the 35" FC1990-L frame of their baseball mitt and somehow use a
fastpitch pocket and web. Since it's a custom, make it out of their kip or Optimus leather.
It's late and I'm tired so this may be a crazy idea, but if anyone can do it I bet Vinci can. May be a little pricey but it
would be an original one of a kind cool bucket dad mitt !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish