Baseball Machine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2013
Last week, the team used a Baseball facility for hitting practice. 2 tunnels, and the outside area. Stations and short toss outside, but the second tunnel, we used the pitching machine. This is where I am at my dilema. I asked DD's hitting coach her opinion, and will leave it later BUT, I am looking for other input. I have 4 specific points and will list them.

1. Release point. @48 inches off the ground compared to @24.. leading to #2
2. Trajectory. DOWNWARD as compared to flat to rising.
3 Speed (set at 60) comparable to what speed depending on distance/ reaction time?
4. This might be my least/most important. The COLOR of the ball. These were white baseballs as compared to the Yellow we use... Does it affect a hitter?

5 My last question, and regardless, my only real dilemma, Is it ok, to use a Composite softball bat, one regulation baseballs?

I am going on vacation in the morning, and will follow along. Sad(actually) the best part, we come back in two days, and have a tourney when we get back...

Dec 11, 2010
I am familiar with a softball hitting coach who uses jugs machines with the long legs. His hitters are pretty successful. He is fairly unconventional.

Mar 10, 2016
1. Release point. @48 inches off the ground compared to @24.. leading to #2
2. Trajectory. DOWNWARD as compared to flat to rising.

Before I purchased a softball specific machine I used a ATEC rookie baseball machine for my 10 yr. DD that only took baseballs. It was great for good repetitive swing mechanics at her age and hitting a smaller ball didn't hurt either. Trajectory can be an issue as some point but when you are trying to just get quality swings and do not have access to a softball machine, you have to go with what you have. I would guess the same holds true with the machine leg height (go with what you have)

3 Speed (set at 60) comparable to what speed depending on distance/ reaction time?

Most of this can be compensated with distance. Obviously if you shorten the distance your reaction time must increase. If I know we are facing a fast pitcher, I will shorten up the distance during practice that week to try to improve reaction time. My machine only goes to 60 mph so that is how I try to simulate speed

4. This might be my least/most important. The COLOR of the ball. These were white baseballs as compared to the Yellow we use... Does it affect a hitter?

I think I remember the change in the softball color from white to yellow was to help increase offense and the ability for the hitter to pick the ball up quicker. So I think it might be a benefit for the hitters to practice with a white ball instead of the yellow.

5 My last question, and regardless, my only real dilemma, Is it ok, to use a Composite softball bat, one regulation baseballs?

Not sure if it's right or wrong but we did use her composite bat on the real baseballs not pitching machine balls, and had no issues with the bat. Not sure what would happen if they were machine specific balls.

I think the older they get, the more important the "release point" becomes though due to the speed. If the question become trajectory of a baseball pitching machine or one of our coaches wearing out their old arms pitching softball style for 2 hours, I am going with the machine. My feeling is any reps with good swing mechanics are quality reps. I am not sure I would look at it differently than front toss or tee work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1