Balanced v. End-Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
At what point does a girl switch from a balanced bat to an end-loaded one? My dd is 14, usually bats 3rd and is a switch hitter.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
That is a good question and I think you will get various responses. Of course, it depends on the player, but it also depends on which end-loaded bat you select to use. My DD recently turned 13 and is 5'7" and about 120. She is more on the thin side and not what I would call a power hitter. Until she got her LXT she was using a Demarini CF5 Insane. The Insane seems to be have a lighter end loaded feel than some of the other brands of end loaded bats. IMO it is a great "in between" bat...feels lighter, but you get the benefit of an end loaded bat when you hit the ball in the sweet spot. If she is not a power hitter then I would suggest seeing if you can find a used Insane or borrow someone's to try out for a game or two. Once she feels the end loaded she may not even like it. We have a girl on our team that is a power hitter, but doesn't like the feel of an end loaded bat.

Apr 29, 2013
She's 5'5" and about 130 lbs. and very strong. She has hit 2 OTF homeruns in the last couple of weeks, so I guess she is a power hitter. She wants a Demarini CF7 Insane. I just want to make sure we get the right bat for her. She's never used an end-loaded bat before.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
If she has put a few out of the park and is strong I would put her in the category of a power hitter. I really like the Demarini Insane. I think it is a safe end loaded bat to make the switch with. I would be interested in hearing other opinions on this for you. Good luck!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
She needs good clean mechanics, and IMLE particularly a more rotational hip driven swing will leverage the pendulum effect of an endloaded bat more than will a girl who tries to fire the barrel through with her arms.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It has nothing to do with how big and strong you are but your swing. I have many kids show up for hitting lessons that due to their swing path cannot handle an end loaded bat. . Mine played college and will never use an end loaded bat. Keep in mind you hit for average, not just power. .

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It's all preference. I think the insane is a good bat. Couple years ago dd got a cf6, she didn't like how feather light it felt. She then got an insane a size larger and liked it. She says it really dosen't feel endloaded, just a good bat weight feeling like it is helping the way it should. It feels similar to a xeno, or dd's current 33/24 lxt. (She is 14, 5'7...prob 130.)

Apr 29, 2013
Her coach let me know he thinks she's ready for it, so I went ahead and ordered the CF7 Insane. The reviews I read and the posts above have me feeling pretty comfortable about it. Thanks so much!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At what point does a girl switch from a balanced bat to an end-loaded one? My dd is 14, usually bats 3rd and is a switch hitter.

When she picks up another players bat, hits the crap out the ball and has a big smile on her face. Then you pony up the $$$ for the new bat.