Back to work and open stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Good looking out RDBass. She had a big year hitting the ball. I think a tweak in her mechanics will help get that extra foot to put it over the fence or a line drive a little harder, etc

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good looking out RDBass. She had a big year hitting the ball. I think a tweak in her mechanics will help get that extra foot to put it over the fence or a line drive a little harder, etc

She's strong and athletic. She's going to hit the ball hard because of those factors...until she comes up against pitching that her swing pattern can't handle. That time is coming, and you are WAY better off trying to get her on a better path now than be in total panic later.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Appreciate the feedback Ian. How far back are you thinking?

CB...she needs to stop all the movement in the frontal plane...my goodness...she is athletic as all heck...

Right now, her swing is powerful because it's like a tidal wave...If I took a baking pan, and put an inch of water in it and tilted it to the left and then to the right, all of the water would come rushing to the right...TONS of inertia...ZERO adjustability...this will make her vulnerable to better pitching...

RDB's post of Kemp's swing is a great model IMO for your daughter to look to adopt...

Take a look at this simple comparison: 1st pic for each: start; max load; finish.

CB v Kemp.jpg

To your question about where to place the tee...IMO...FOR NOW...let her keep her overly massive negative move. Put the tee at her belly button...tell her that her front hip CANNOT pass the tee on her swing...hips move forward, shoulders stay back...CP

May 12, 2014
I agree with you guys....she's gotten by against really good pitchers with her athletic ability (another coach said her vision)....BUT....there have been pitchers that have eaten her lunch too (as you guys said...pitches her pattern can't handle)

What do you think of shortening her negative motion?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
cbullard,

You have seen her swing and now you have to correct her. You have to be able to see her problem and correct her every time she does it wrong. That's what is good about video, seeing it and then seeing it in the swing (both good and bad stuff).

You hit off the back side. The front side is just as important, although getting the weight forward is obviously a bad thing.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I agree with you guys....she's gotten by against really good pitchers with her athletic ability (another coach said her vision)....BUT....there have been pitchers that have eaten her lunch too (as you guys said...pitches her pattern can't handle)

If you're leaning that way, then try what I suggested...if you try and shorten BOTH the negative and positive (back to front) motion at the same time that is too much change at once IMO...

If you go the "other route"...meaning shorten her negative motion but still allow the huge forward lunge...that is the worse of 2 evils IMO...

She needs to feel the "pulling in to" her left hip to WITHOUT the help of momentum ala the Kemp clip\pics...CP

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Negative move isn't the problem.
tumblr_obih8a6mhz1usf292o1_400.gif

See if you can 'feel' how your DD 'uncoils/unwinds/spins' starting from the front foot toe/front side on up towards her hands.....
Kemp-Matt-2011-Side.gif

See if you can 'feel' where Kemp 'uncoils' from.....(kept to simple 'terms' in the practical thread). Look at his rear hip then go down to his rear thigh,leg & foot.

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
Well put RDBass.....We'll put. I got it. I really do. This offseason we can move the tee back as was suggested earlier? And pushing from the backside?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA