Awesome call by our catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2016
In our last tournament of the season my DD's 14U team played another team that was more of a rec team than a travel team, going by the discussion of their coach to ours. Their coach told our's that they traveled 4 hours to get there and some of their parents didn't want to travel that far and only had 8 players would have shown up. One of the girls on that team had their 9 year old sister play as a guest. Very cute small girl who's uniform was clearly way too big for her. Our girls just adored her.
Our team at this point is beating them 11-1 when my daughter is at the plate and the 9 year old comes up to bat. The AC is trying to get the HC's attention to see if he just wants to walk her. Before he can make a call the catcher gives the AC the sign for a changeup down the middle! The girl eventually hits the ball but got thrown out at first. I asked the catcher why she called that and she said she wanted to give the girl a chance to get the ball in play. Class act from a 13 year old kid. I was proud of her and she isn't even my kid!

What are some class act things you've seen on the field?

Nov 29, 2009
Most times the kids understand the meaning of competition and effort more than the adults do. Big High-Five to the young lady from all the folks at DFP.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Class act by your catcher IMO. You couldn't ask for more from a player at any level. Kudo's to her:D I'd like to say that I have seen that kind of extraordinary sportsmanship from my teams in the past; my pitcher walking over to hand the batter her bat after a foul ball, my pitcher tied a baserunners shoe while on first so that she didn't my have to take her gloves off, my players complimenting an opposing player on a great catch or out, my coaching staff and myself giving special Kudo's or a skittle to an opposing player after a great play, this is just normal for us. Yes, we are a Skittles team. We give out skittles for reaching base.

With all of that said, probably the classiest thing happened this morning. Yesterday, I mentioned to several of the parents at tryouts that there was a girl I wanted but her family didn't think they could afford the fees. They have 2 girls in college and just lost their youngest daughter a little over a year ago to a long term illness. Between the medical bills due and college tuition, it was a non starter for them. Their DD that I want is quick and a great OFer. Apparently, after I offered to the families, gave them my little speech, thanked them for coming out, wished them well and left, they stuck around and discussed things amongst themselves. I got a text this morning from both saying not only will they accept and come play for me but they want to spearhead fundraisers to sponsor this girl so her fees are paid as well as the 2 overnight hotel costs we'll be playing out of town tourneys in. They even went so far as to say whatever we couldn't fundraise, they would pay out of their own pockets.

I have to tell you, I'm tearing up a little bit as I write this. This girl has had a really rough childhood due to her sisters illness and death and she deserves a break. All she wants to do is play softball at a high level and I am extremely proud of the players and their families for stepping up and allowing me to give this girl the opportunity she so richly deserves.

UPDATE: I just contacted the family and they are beside themselves. They couldn't thank us enough for giving their DD this opportunity. I'll see them later tonight for a private tryout even though she's already on the team. Their DD is so excited she can't stand it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan