Attitudes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Disreguard what I am about to post:

I've dealt with criers before. I can't stand it at any age. So, Suzie is sad. Now Suzie wants everyone to look at her because she is sad. Suzie could care less about her teammates now who are also sad because she is sad. I think you get the point. What we did, and believe me well thought out parent meetings are worth their weight in gold, is have a policy that says that when Suzie is sad and crying but not due to an injury, we will ask Suzie to sit down at the end of the bench until she can stop crying. We will try to talk to Suzie briefly and then leave her to cry. (In other words, "Suzie, if you are crying because you struck out, you are not focused on helping the team.") To this day, I have a hard time dealing with one young lady who was a crier through freshman year in high school. To me it was all about pity for her which I can't stand.

Ok back to normal.

Oct 18, 2009
Different poster, but the girls are still learning the basics of the game at that point. From what I can gather TB is insanely expensive, so to have eight and nine year olds having that type of money spent is silly.

Yes. Depending where you are it can get pretty expensive, but I guess everything is relative to ones situation.

There are all different levels of play at 10u. Basics or advanced some kids can definitely can benefit from a higher level experience; others probably just aren't as ready for it.

May 25, 2010
Different poster, but the girls are still learning the basics of the game at that point. From what I can gather TB is insanely expensive, so to have eight and nine year olds having that type of money spent is silly.
What it seems like there's a lack of is what one poster described as 'travel ball lite', programs for those girls who are simply wasting time - or worse, regressing - playing standard rec ball, yet who are not ready for the rigorous demands of the competitive TB world.

Maybe you can keep more girls playing softball longer if the game becomes better quality or more competitive without forcing them to become one of the 'softball is life' robots we see their parents talking about here.

Nov 29, 2009
Heaven help for anyone between me and my DD if she is crying.

So what you're telling everyone is that you are an enabler when it comes to emotional manipulation by your child. Crying because they are injured, cold, sick or any number of issues is reasonable. Crying because she has not succeeded at a task and is feeling sorry for herself is not the way to let her learn how to handle the ups and downs of life. I see too many coddled kids who lack the emotional skills needed to deal with life's tougher situations.

Oct 12, 2009
What it seems like there's a lack of is what one poster described as 'travel ball lite', programs for those girls who are simply wasting time - or worse, regressing - playing standard rec ball, yet who are not ready for the rigorous demands of the competitive TB world.

Maybe you can keep more girls playing softball longer if the game becomes better quality or more competitive without forcing them to become one of the 'softball is life' robots we see their parents talking about here.

What about fall ball or select ball?

They are both big around here and don't involve travel.

Nov 29, 2009
One thing posted on this thread got to me a bit. A girl crying after the game and after the after game meeting, gets berated by the coach? That's wrong.

How did you get that I berated this girl?? What I did was ask her why she was crying. I told her that she was feeling sorry for herself and she had no reason to be. I gave her some direction on how to handle and channel some really strong emotions. I never raised my voice. It was a conversation. Mom was right there and listened to the whole thing and then thanked me. What I let this girl know was I knew she was better than her last game and challenged her to believe in herself and show me she also believed. What I didn't say was that she stepped on the field for the next game and played like she was capable of.

Every competitive athlete will have their emotions get the better of them at one point. The original post was about a girl who used it a manipulation tool, not an isolated incident. During my daughter's softball career I saw her cry 4 times. When her HS team won the State Championship. After her last HS game. Once in college when she gave up a game ending 2nd HR to the same girl in the bottom of the 14th inning of a 2-1 loss that she had 20K's, 3 hits and 0 BB's. She went off for a few minutes on her own till she could get her emotions back under control and then rejoined the team. The last time was after her last college game.

I've been coaching younger girls for the last 7 years without a kid on the team. I know how to get kids in the correct frame of mind to play the game. What I found is it usually takes almost a solid year to chase the rec ball mentality out of a girl. Some less, a few more and very rare one who never gets it.

Apr 1, 2010
It's funny. In many ways, my daughter is very sensitive. She burst into tears the other day when her beloved teacher berated her for having trouble with her math assignment (and then cried again when she told us about it). But I haven't seen her cry on a softball field except for when she's been hit hard by a ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Why would you think that is ludicrous?

Though many learn the game early, turning that into performance isn't the same.

But they don't need to travel to learn. IMO, travel ball for be should be for competitive purposes. To my dismay, it has turned into a full-scale traveling tryout and 10 is too early for that. Sad part is that they are now pushing for nationals at 8U, 6U even including coach-pitch.

There is nothing a player at this age can learn travelling all over they cannot learn (in a much more comfortable environment) at home. For me, it is a waste of money that could be put to a better use later in their career.

JMHO