Attack Angles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
The hands, I believe, closer to the body will make them stronger, not necessarily faster (the strength part comes into play when the ball is not purely squared up). I believe in the two swings the bat traveling the furthest will be faster (have done test). Its a good trick when doing OnDeck camps, or similar, to tee the ball up a little further out front to get a faster recorded bat speed.

Editing because my response was simplistic and, therefore, not necessary accurate. Carry on.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Seems like the whip gets short circuited if the arms are restricted from extending. Try short-arming a swing vs allowing the bat to whip into extension. When I try this, it feels like the bat wants to pull out of my hands--especially if I torque the barrel strongly at fire.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
jfg486.gif

This is very interesting... Can the left frame show the moment of ball impact to match the right? Same hitter, initiating the swing at the same time, for a pitch to similar location...Is contact made simultaneously regardless of pitch velocity? I predict either frame make contact at the same time... The high level hitter will attain maximum bat speed consistently in squaring the ball irregardless of pitch velocity, and for that matter, pitch location.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011

He does an amazing job on both swings. On the left he is about to be sawed in half (new lumber please), but is able to pull his hands in and through. The one on the right, he is fooled a bit, but keeps the barrel back (lag).

I agree with the poster about whipping to extension.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
jfg486.gif

This is very interesting... Can the left frame show the moment of ball impact to match the right? Same hitter, initiating the swing at the same time, for a pitch to similar location...Is contact made simultaneously regardless of pitch velocity? I predict either frame make contact at the same time... The high level hitter will attain maximum bat speed consistently in squaring the ball irregardless of pitch velocity, and for that matter, pitch location.

Correa_2015_ALDS_Gm4_HR2.gif
Correa_2015_ALDS_Gm4_HR1.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Seems like the whip gets short circuited if the arms are restricted from extending. Try short-arming a swing vs allowing the bat to whip into extension. When I try this, it feels like the bat wants to pull out of my hands--especially if I torque the barrel strongly at fire.

Yes fire(torque) the hands(barrel) at fire, then release. i demonstrate the fire and release here
mannsbagdrilltoextension-S.gif
[/url][/IMG]

Here i am showing loose arms, and the barrel is falling to extension.
manaxegif-M.gif
[/url][/IMG]

In a full swing i use my hands to turn the barrel, along with body torque

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I feel the barrel getting torqued/turned at swing initiation. In your clips, it looks like you aren't applying torque with your hands/arms until the whip phase?

Apologies for being newbbish. By "fire," I feel that is the very beginning of the swing where I transition from a stretch/load into an aggressive torque/turn of the barrel. After that, it feels like my hands/arms mostly guide the bat into the ball. When I look at your clips, I see/feel the body rotating, the bat following and the effort is put into swinging the bat from a lagged position into contact--muscle assisted whip.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I feel the barrel getting torqued/turned at swing initiation. In your clips, it looks like you aren't applying torque with your hands/arms until the whip phase?

Apologies for being newbbish. By "fire," I feel that is the very beginning of the swing where I transition from a stretch/load into an aggressive torque/turn of the barrel. After that, it feels like my hands/arms mostly guide the bat into the ball. When I look at your clips, I see/feel the body rotating, the bat following and the effort is put into swinging the bat from a lagged position into contact--muscle assisted whip.

Very well said. I fire my swing, when i decide to swing. when i fire my swing i will use my hands to assist the whip.

Where you fire the swing depends, But the first movements of the barrel are not from my hands swinging, i am resisting and fighting to keep the barrel up, while my body gets ready to swing.

I put a dot where i think jd fires his hands.
jdfiregif-M.gif

how about Manny? where does he fire his hands?
mannypauseatlaggif-M.gif

Here i fire from the get go
satswingwhamgif-S.gif
i also teach with contact at the bag, is nothing left, relaxed grip, its done.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

This is exactly the way i perceive the game swing. In DRILLS, the way at times if it is needed, i will not fire during Fives "around" phase.
i would like "smart hands" To me "lag" is "loaded" firing your hands is unloaded.

creating hitters with smart hands, the ability to adjust up, down, in or out, is crucial.

working with a tall 13 year old. She makes a nice adjustment on a high pitch.
i-rhb6278-M.gif
during SNF 45 drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG